LM_NET  May 2018

LM_NET May 2018

HIT: Digital Portfolio Creation by Students

Janice Pellegrino <[log in to unmask]>

Janice Pellegrino <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2018 12:16:01 -0400

*Original Question:*

I am currently collaborating with one of my visual arts teachers, piloting
a project for her seniors to create digital portfolios of their art work.
While this small group is our focus this year, we'd like to explore the
wider applicability of digital portfolio creation for all of our students
(for college admissions, for employment, for tracking of academic growth).

If students in your high school create digital portfolios, I would
appreciate any and all feedback you could provide including the following
information:

1. Are all students *required* to create portfolios or is this a choice
they can make?

2. Which technologies do you suggest they use? A website, blog, slideshow
that they convert to a pdf file, or something else? (If a website, which do
you suggest: Google Sites, Weebly, Wix, Wordpress, other?)

3. For those students creating websites, do they typically purchase
specialized domain names for their site?

4. What types of information do your students include in their portfolios?

5. How do you structure their portfolio work? Does it take place within a
specific class during the school day? On their own time? Which teacher(s)
works individually with the students on layout, what to include, technology
issues, etc.?

I have used Google Sites extensively for the creation of Digital Portfolios -
mostly for writing.  Other than the cost benefit, students find it very
easy to use, customizable, and works well with Chromebooks for integrated
pictures, docs, etc.

The students used Google Sites.  That way, work they have created
throughout a span of years can be stored in Google Drive and used to help
create the site and pages.  This would include resume, student work, PDFs
of all types, etc....

Google Sites also allows for embeddable objects so if they create something
(ie infographic) and have an embed code, that can work.

Google Sites allows the students to create their own web address extension,
so that is helpful.  And the maintenance of the sites were usually done
during a class, either technology, or whichever teacher would help.  It
wasn't a requirement, but really nice to have for future use.

I teach Technology at a middle school and all of my students are creating a
Digital Portfolio for their final project.

I have used Google Classroom for my assignments this school year and have
taught my students how to create a Google Site.

All of their work will go on their digital portfolio.  Since it is online,
they can work on it from home.  When they turn in their work on our Google
classroom page, it automatically uploads to their Google Drive.

I suggest using Google Site or Weebly (I have also used).    These are free
resources.

Check out this school's website for examples.
http://animashighschool.com/digital-portfolios/

A colleague just sent this link for directions to start eportfolio with new
Google Sites.

https://youtu.be/JaYvsDZ0nkY

1. Are all students *required* to create portfolios or is this a choice
they can make?

This is a requirement. Senior year, they have senior portfolio one
semester, and senior project the other. The portfolio goes over the 4 years
of high school, and includes an art portfolio as we are an arts school.

2. Which technologies do you suggest they use? A website, blog, slideshow
that they convert to a pdf file, or something else? (If a website, which do
you suggest: Google Sites, Weebly, Wix, Wordpress, other?)

Digital, using Wix.

For Senior project however, they can do an online or paper portfolio.

3. For those students creating websites, do they typically purchase
specialized domain names for their site?

Purchase? No. Wix allows some type of personalization though, which
students use.

4. What types of information do your students include in their portfolios?

I'm including the rubric for this year's portfolio. However, teachers and
academic counselors are changing it for next year, to a class called
"Senior Experience". Teachers and counselors will be teaching and will be a
new evolution of project/portfolio with career counseling/skills and
college prep.

5. How do you structure their portfolio work? Does it take place within a
specific class during the school day? On their own time? Which teacher(s)
works individually with the students on layout, what to include, technology
issues, etc.?

Senior portfolio is taught by the Tech/Digital arts teacher. They do have
that class at least to work on it, but they are allowed, encouraged, and
even find it necessary to work on it outside of school as well.

Huge thanks to all who responded!

- Janice

--
Janice Pellegrino, M.P., M.L.S.
Librarian

Twitter: @ForanLibrary
Foran Library on Facebook

Connecticut Association of School Librarians Advocacy/Public Relations
Committee Chair
Nutmeg Book Award Committee Member
Grey House Publishing/Salem Press/H.W. Wilson Editorial Advisory Board
Joseph A. Foran High School NEASC Self-Study Co-Chair

Currently Reading:
*Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda* by Becky Albertalli

Recently Finished:
*When Dimple Met Rishi* by Sandhya Menon
*The Arcana Chronicles series* by Kresley Cole
*Turtles All the Way Down* by John Green