LM_NET  August 2018

LM_NET August 2018

Why We Can't Invent a Perfect Engine-Resources for your Science Teacher

Andrew Van Zyl <[log in to unmask]>

Andrew Van Zyl <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Aug 2018 12:01:42 +0200

Dear Colleagues

I trust you are all well? Here is my latest collection of recent clips
which might be of interest to your Science teachers. Just shout if you want
this in an attractive weekly format.

Enjoy, Andrew

What is the coldest thing in the world? I TED-Ed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6aL9YyRx1A

The coldest materials in the world aren’t in Antarctica or at the top of
Mount Everest. They’re in physics labs: clouds of gases held just fractions
of a degree above absolute zero. Lina Marieth Hoyos explains how
temperatures this low give scientists a window into the inner workings of
matter, and allow engineers to build incredibly sensitive instruments that
tell us more about the universe.

Why We Can't Invent a Perfect Engine: Crash Course Engineering #10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B81W6nNds0

We’ve introduced the 0th and 1st laws of thermodynamics, so now it’s time
to move on to the second law and how we came to understand it

Argon (new) I Periodic Table of Videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=N0Gw6-xMLlo

A Giant Underground Lake on Mars! | Sci Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkYBhSqet8

The Physics of Racing Games I Real Engineering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz8RRxYwrhg

Could we cope on a mini Earth? | Size Matters - BBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viZiCvlGTVE

A smaller Earth means less oxygen and a weaker magnetic field. We would all
suffer from altitude sickness and frequent electrical blackouts would be
the norm!

NASA turns 60: The space race continues | Al Jazeera English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yrbh7jtbJg

Blowtorch vs Heat Shield I NASA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKinVmBoIrE

Betsy Congdon of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab is the Lead Thermal
Engineer on the heat shield that NASA's Parker Solar Probe will use to
protect itself against the Sun.

Why Won't it Melt? How NASA's Solar Probe will Survive the Sun I NASA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6rZF5dSRg

NASA's Parker Solar Probe is heading to the Sun. Why won't the spacecraft
melt?

Students Learn About Science by Building Guitars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9pFt-zl0XI

Make Your Own Diamonds! | Earth Lab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdsMIG04vHA

How do you turn carbon into diamond?
I Could Have Taught You That: Science Teacher Leaves Parabolic Mirror In
Car, Melts Interior
http://geekologie.com/2018/07/i-could-have-taught-you-that-science-tea.php

Andrew van Zyl
School Librarian