LM_NET  June 2018

LM_NET June 2018

Fermentation, Viruses and Shellabrating World Turtle Day-A Roundup of current material for your Biology Teachers

Andrew Van Zyl <[log in to unmask]>

Andrew Van Zyl <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jun 2018 10:21:07 +0200

Dear Colleagues

Well, it's Winter in Cape Town which is lovely for someone like me with
Scottish blood! The main thing is that we have had quite a lot of rain over
the past couple of weeks which, if you have been following the news, is
pretty critical!

I have just sent out my weekly subject-related newsletters and thought that
your Life Science/Biology teachers might be interested in these clips. Just
give me a shout if you would like this in a snazzy newsletter.

Enjoy, Andrew van Zyl

The bold plan to end malaria with a gene drive I VOX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0HPHUzsHbI

World Turtle Day: A Day Worth Shellabrating | Nat Geo Wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8zWjrrUyWY

Mitosis vs. Meiosis: Side by Side Comparison I Amoeba Sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKdz93WlVk

Biodiversity Explained I WWF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nH3SDhcqXo

Injured Sea Turtle Saved by 3D Printing | Earth Unplugged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49l17IJCxpM

Flies: the often overlooked pollinators | Natural History Museum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE4VpGoX1wE

What is dust made of? I TED-Ed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21a5Uty-uc

Matchmaking For Maned Wolves | Maddie About Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3KSsXMdrZg

Whale dies after swallowing 80 plastic bags I Sky News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LI3XhcefZg

Can carbon offsets cancel out your summer vacation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRznlm22Iy8

How Much Is Your Body Worth? I AsapScience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jyVmNLAPlA

What If You Only Drank Energy Drinks? I AsapScience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6epKIw7W5M

Viruses I Amoeba Sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FqlTslU22s

What Is CRISPR Gene Editing? I NOVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7npqtgyVpY

How Sea Spiders Breathe Without Lungs or Gills | New York Times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojmvz5kLN5M

Why Fiddler Crabs Have Such Giant Claws I NOVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDXJr-WXFI

Cell-like nanorobots: interview with UC San Diego nanoengineers I
JacobsSchoolNews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_uWIlySWw

Chameleons Are Masters of Nanotechnology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxApSZ5bCM