Richie’s Picks: THE BREAKING NEWS

Richie Partington <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jul 2018 22:27:03 -0700

*Richie’s Picks: THE BREAKING NEWS by Sarah Lynne Reul, Roaring Brook,
April 2018, 48p., ISBN: 978-1-250-15356-2“I read the news today, oh
boy”--Lennon & McCartney, “A Day in the Life” (1967)“Suddenly Mom is glued
to the television.Dad can’t stop checking his phone.They whisper and I
pretend not to hear.It is more than a little scary.”For some reason, I
often cannot tell you exactly where I was, or vividly recall the moments
when the news has been really good. For instance, the day the then-governor
announced the deal that ended plans to construct the nuclear plant I’d
spent so many years fighting. Or when that damned war of my childhood and
adolescence officially ended. Even clear memories of relatively recent good
news, like the night we elected a black President, escape me. Bur memories
of the bad news sticks with me like glue. We moved away from a town at the
beginning of 1964. Yet, fifty-five years after the fact, I can show you
what exact house we were walking by on the way home from school when, on
November 22, 1963, two big kids ran up and told my friend and me that the
President had been shot. I recall in precise detail the warm Saturday
morning in January 1973 when my parents went barreling away on what turned
out to be my grandfather’s last day alive. The police cracking heads on the
Edmund Pettus Bridge.Bobby Kennedy shot dead.Martin Luther King shot
dead.John Lennon shot dead.The twin towers falling.Maybe I’ve unknowingly
spent lots of nights dreaming and reliving these bad moments, that I can so
clearly recall them. I can see exactly where I was, and replay in my head
the television news I absorbed on those days and nights.“Mom forgets to
tuck me in.Dad is too tired for bedtime stories.”I want so much to protect
young kids from one day having their heads filled with fifty-five year old
bad memories.And so, I appreciate THE BREAKING NEWS, which tackles a very
unusual topic for a picture book. In it, a child recounts how the breaking
news overwhelms the community. Fortunately, the young narrator has a
teacher who is sensitive to her students’ needs and fears: “At school, my
teacher says to look for the helpers. Even when the news is bad, you can
still find good people trying to make things better in big and small
ways.”The young narrator is inspired to be one of those helpers. Learning
through trial-and-error how to be useful, she achieves her goal of being a
helper, first, in small ways and then in a larger way. We never know what
the bad news is, giving this tale a real universality. The clear, bold
illustrations feature a multicultural cast in an urban neighborhood. On a
day in which I’m absorbing the latest bad news, THE BREAKING NEWS is a
breath of fresh air.Richie Partington, MLISRichie's Picks
<http://richiespicks.com/>http://richiespicks.pbworks.com
<http://richiespicks.pbworks.com>https://www.facebook.com/richiespicks/
<https://www.facebook.com/richiespicks/>[log in to unmask]