LM_NET  June 2018

LM_NET June 2018

Re: Tar.: Elem book recommendations to new intermediate teacher librarian

"Schuster, Ann L." <[log in to unmask]>

Schuster, Ann L.

Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:59:07 +0000

Wow- I could go on forever but here are some ( I also tried to include some varied genre and diversity):

Authors:
Rick Riordan
Louise Erdrich
Jacqueline Woodson
Cynthia Lord
Sarah Weeks
Brian Selznick
Duncan Tonatiuh
Linda Sue Park
Elizabeth George Speare
Gary Paulsen
Judy Blume
Adam Gidwitz
Patricia Reilly Giff (especially her more recent works)
E.B. White
Lauren Tarshis
Roland Smith
Mike Lupica
Mary Downing Hahn
Suzanne Collins
Cynthia Rylant
Jean George
Katherine Paterson
Meg Cabot
Tom Angleberger

Specific titles and series:
Home of the Brave
Wonder, et. al
Dork Diaries
Timmy Failure
Step Soto, Taco Queen
Gabi, Lost and Found
Geronimo Stilton
Redwall series
Front Desk
Amulet series
El Deafo

....just a start. Iím at home and this is off the top of my head.

Ann Schuster
Valley Park ES
Overland Park, KS

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 10:18 AM, Katherine Stehman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Good Morning, Colleagues,
>
> I have decided to retire and am helping my replacement transition into my position as elementary division librarian. As such, I was wondering what titles you would recommend as belonging to the essential "cannon" of intermediate fiction. I have mixed authors, series, and single books as my mind has freely floated to retirement mode, so feel free to do the same!
>
> The following are just a start of my suggestions:
> The Sisters Grimm series by Buckley
> The City of Ember
> Out of My Mind
> Telgemeier graphic novels
> Fred Bowen sports novels
> Penderwicks
> Avi
> Ann M. Martin
> Kate DiCamillo
> Katherine Applegate
> Percy Jackson series
> The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
> Hello, Universe
> Blue Balliett
> The Graveyard Book by Gaiman
>

> Katherine S. Stehman
> Elementary Division Librarian
> Lampeter-Strasburg School District
> Lampeter, PA
>
> "Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."  ~Maya Angelou CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are the property of Lampeter-Strasburg School District. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender.

>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding [log in to unmask] to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status,  send a message to: [log in to unmask]  (not to [log in to unmask])
> In the body of the message write the command that is appropriate to your request:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET          (this will remove you from the list)
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL    (this will suspend mail delivery, but will not remove you from the list)
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL         (this will resume mail delivery)
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST     (this will group individual posts into several daily messages)
>
> * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  [log in to unmask]
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.lm-net.info/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://lmnet-archive.iis.syr.edu/

Blue Valley Schools - Education Beyond Expectations
This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance, disclosure, copying, dissemination or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Further, the sender accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by any virus, spyware, malware, or other malicious code transmitted by this e-mail.