LM_NET  July 2018

LM_NET July 2018

TARGET: When You Are Not Making a Difference

Shonda Brisco <[log in to unmask]>

Shonda Brisco <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jul 2018 06:55:55 -0500

What are some recommendations that you might suggest for improving
*your *attitude
toward your school district / community when it appears that you are
working in a district that is critical and demoralizing? Aside from leaving
the district, what suggestions would you offer to teachers who find
themselves facing individuals who disregard suggestions for improvement,
fail to address problems as they continue to develop, or refuse to
reprimand those whose community clout outweighs their own?

I realize that everyone faces a point in time when it may appear hopeless
and it's time to leave; however, I'm afraid that the problem that I'm
seeing doesn't just exist within one school district but within many
districts--especially in Oklahoma. For the first time in my professional
career, I can honestly say that I am not looking forward to going back to
school this fall because of the negativity and demoralizing climate that I
will face once I'm there. I don't feel that I'm burnt out-- I'm simply
disgusted with the lack of innovation and growth within the profession! I
truly want to ask, "What's new?"  I feel that there is nothing new being
offered and nothing exciting to embrace. Although I might be able to read
about new ideas or try to develop new techniques within my area, I have
come to realize that once I am back in my educational environment, these
quickly diminish due to time constraints, lack of resources, or even
jealousy among those who feel threatened by others who might want to
advance professionally.

I wish I could say that the feelings that I have are mine alone. If this
were the case, then perhaps medication might be the answer; however, even
my husband has noticed--and is experiencing--the same type of frustration
and disappointment with the lack of educational enthusiasm within the
profession. Is it our district? Is it the state (of Oklahoma)? Or is this
something that is happening in other parts of the country?

What suggestions do you have to overcome the feeling that you are NOT
making a difference or are fighting a losing battle?

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco, MLIS
Stillwater, Oklahoma

*"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing." *(Edmund Burke)