Richie’s Picks: ROAR: A DINOSAUR TOUR

Richie Partington <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 May 2018 07:07:42 -0700

*Richie’s Picks: ROAR: A DINOSAUR TOUR by Michael Paul, Crown BFYR, April
2018, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-5247-6698-6“A vegetarian from the start,she gobbled
only greens.She wasn’t good at runningor at making awkward scenes.Her bones
were bone and keratin,her teeth not meant to bite.So when she met a hungry
Rexshe ofttimes lost the fight.”-- Jane Yolen, “Tricera Blew Her Top” from
LAST LAUGHS: PREHISTORIC EPITAPHS (2017)“Millions of years ago, dinosaurs
walked the Earth. There were many kinds of dinosaurs”A couple of weeks ago,
while on a trip back east, I visited the dinosaurs at the American Museum
of Natural History. It was the first that I’d gotten to see the 122
foot-long Titanosaur, which has only been on exhibit for a couple of years.
Other skeletons, I’ve seen repeatedly, beginning back in the Sixties,
during an elementary school field trip there.I’m still very excited to go
visit the dinosaurs.My experience as an early childhood educator and parent
was that lots of young kids love dinosaurs. So many four- and
five-year-olds become enthusiastic experts at dinosaur identification, the
long names sliding smoothly off of their little tongues.These are the kids
who will spend lots of time paging through ROAR: A DINOSAUR TOUR.ROAR
contains a colorful selection of dinosaur illustrations, accompanied by
simple facts that help compare and contrast the various species: “Some
kinds of dinosaurs lived alone… [picture of Pelorplites] while others lived
together in a family [picture of a Corythosaurus family].Eighteen dinosaurs
are identified and illustrated. The front endpapers contain headshots of
these eighteen, and provide a pronunciation of each name. The back
endpapers display the same eighteen headshots, this time with the English
translations of the Greek and Latin names. Perhaps school and public
librarians can make some provision to prevent some of these endpaper
headshots from being obscured by a mylar-covered and taped dust jacket.On
the copyright page, the author/illustrator includes a brief note about the
broad variety of colors he had employed in illustrating the various
species. He also acknowledges Dr. Luis Chiappe, Director of the Dinosaur
Institute at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County for his
expertise. This is one that lots of young kids won’t be able to get enough
of. I know this firsthand, having permanently surrendered my copy to my
five year-old grandson.ROAR will be an excellent classroom or library
addition and will also make a great gift. Richie Partington, MLISRichie's
Picks <http://richiespicks.com/>http://richiespicks.pbworks.com
<http://richiespicks.pbworks.com>https://www.facebook.com/richiespicks/
<https://www.facebook.com/richiespicks/>[log in to unmask]