Richie’s Picks: A HOUSE THAT ONCE WAS

Richie Partington <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 May 2018 04:42:51 -0700

*Richie’s Picks: A HOUSE THAT ONCE WAS by Julie Fogliano and Lane Smith,
ill., Roaring Brook, May 2018, 48p., ISBN: 978-1-62672-314-6“Who was this
someonewho walked down this hallwaywho cooked in this kitchenwho napped in
this chair?Who was this someonewho left without packingsomeone who’s
gonebut is still everywhere?”In the attic, inside a big plastic storage bin
of old photos and memorabilia, there’s a black-and-white snapshot of me
taken in 1966. I’m grinning and sweaty, a hammer in my hand, perched on the
roof that covers the front porch of a old house in Selden, New York. Back
then, my parents’ business was renovating and reselling houses. I spent my
Saturdays and part of my summers working on their job sites.When some young
people see an old, abandoned house, they think “Creepy!” “Scary!” “Spooky!”
When I see an old, abandoned house, I still imagine the possibilities for
repairing it.In contrast, the pair of young siblings who stumble upon and
enter an abandoned house in A HOUSE THAT ONCE WAS imagine who might have
once lived in this house “that once was but now isn’t a home.”A HOUSE THAT
ONCE WAS is a noteworthy picture book that offers young audiences a gateway
into discussions of family and community history, and how the many consumer
goods that surround us in our daily lives, things like cars, telephones,
toys, kitchen tools, etc., differ greatly in appearance and functionality
from one generation to another.Page after page, this lyrical tale offers an
abundance of visual details to be closely examined. Among the objects we
see on just one memorable page spread are a ship in a bottle; an old toy
airplane; some broken vinyl records; a skeleton key; an old-fashioned
push-down-the-handle spinning top; a shelf of books along with an old diary
or photo album; a grinning mouse peeking through a hole chewed in an old
photo portrait on the wall; and what looks like an old hat that is embossed
with “CLIO.”In Greek mythology, Clio is the muse of history.Lane Smith has
achieved new heights here. The captivating illustrations were created in
two distinctively different styles. One subset of illustrations features
the children encountering, entering, and exploring the rickety, abandoned
house. The second subset shows us the kids’ imaginings of the possible
former inhabitants.Readers attentive to detail will recognize that the
house is, in fact, still inhabited, not just by the mouse, but by a
bluebird that we meet on the title page and who, it turns out, has a nest
of chicks in one of those “trees coming in where the roof used to go.”This
engaging masterpiece is not to be missed. You’ll never again look at a
creaky old house the same way.Richie Partington, MLISRichie's Picks
<http://richiespicks.com/>http://richiespicks.pbworks.com
<http://richiespicks.pbworks.com>https://www.facebook.com/richiespicks/
<https://www.facebook.com/richiespicks/>[log in to unmask]