LM_NET  June 2018

LM_NET June 2018

Hit: If you could only read one book...Revised list which includes a few more recommendations

Lori Willey <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Jun 2018 08:43:55 -0400

Every June, I ask my listserv if they could only read one book this summer what would it be…Then,  I send this list of titles to you so that you can enjoy these recommended treasures.  I can wait to read some of their suggestions. I’ve also included the lists I received from the last couple of years as well.

2018 List

Glass Houses by Louise Penny. I love this mystery series by her - it is written beautifully (could pass as literary fiction), has compelling characters, and makes you want to crawl into the quaint Quebec village setting and join them. I would recommend the first in the series - Still Life.

Only one book??? Then it would probably have to be the new Phillip Pullman prequel to his Golden Compass series, Book of Dust.  It's been patiently waiting until I can give it the time and attention it deserves.

I just finished "When Dimple met Rishi" by Sandhya Menon. It's a YA title but I think adults would enjoy it as much as I did.

I would read Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (it's the first in a trilogy...and AMAZING)

I loved Orbiting Jupiter, but I would not recommend it for elementary or lower middle school. It has a 14 year old father. That puts it into 8th grade and above for me. I think The Hate You Give is definitely for older kids as well.
I do recommend Mountain Dog, which is written in verse, and easy to sell

TRUTH AS TOLD BY MASON BUTTLE  ( I would read this one so I could use it
for a bookclub or class discussion book later)

LAW OF FINDERS KEEPERS  by Sheila Turnage  (the final book in he Mo and
Dale mysteries)  ( I would read this one because the voices are just so
doggone fabulous)

CONFIDENCE CODE FOR GIRLS by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman  ( I would read
this one because even at the ripe old age I'm at I am still a girl in
search of confidence..and I think all of our children need to hear this)

ILLEGAL  by Eoin Colfer  (immigration... on everyone's mind)

AMAL UNBOUND  (An eye-opening look into how some other people live)

PARKER INHERITANCE  by Varian Johnson

LONG WAY DOWN  by Jason Reynolds  (Truly, if you have not read this, don't
wait a minute more... put it on reserve at your library)

2017 Recommended list
Auggie and Me by RJ Palacio (loved Wonder)
Horizon by Scott Westerfeld.
Train I Ride - Paul Mosier - A little sleeper title.
Lockwood and Company series by Jonothan Stroud- creepy and lots of action
The Hate U Give
Wolf Hollow
Inquisitor's Tale
*The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
The Reader
Finding Audrey
Optimists Die First
We Are Made of Molecules
Serafina and the Twisted Staff (2nd in series)
The Smell of Other People's Houses (reminded me of Orbiting Jupiter)
*The Best Man (LGBTQ with lots of humor) by Jewell Parker Rhodes
Like a River Glorious (because it's a setting that very unusual-the Wild West
Gold rush days)
Outrun the Moon (another unusual setting-the San Francisco earthquake).
Gertie's Leap to Greatness by Kate Beasley
*Maybe A Fox by Kathi Appelt and Alison McGhee
Pax by Sara Pennypacker
The Someday Birds by Sally J. Pla
The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
Soar by Joan Bauer
The Last Kids on Earth and sequels by Max Brallier
The Great Shelby Holmes by Elizabeth Eulbert
Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart
Unidentified Suburban Object by Mike Jung
The Key to Extraordinary by Joseph Marshall
Towers Falling
In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse by Richard Peck
Ms. Bixby's Last Day, Anderson.

2016 Recommended List

The Big Dark by Rodman Philbrick
Nest by Kenneth Oppel.
Wonder by R. J. Palacio‎
I Am Malala (Young Reader's Edition) by Malala Yousafzai and Patricia McCormick
(2014)
Mountain Dog by Margarita Engle (2013)
Kizzy Ann Stamps by Jeri Watts (2012)
Mosquitoland by David Arnold
*Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D Schmidt
The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall
Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
**Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo
5th Wave series (3rd out this May) - Yancey
Booked - Kwame Alexander
Echo - Pam Munoz Ryan
Listen, Slowly - Thanhha Lai
The Odds of Getting Even
P. S. I Still Love You, sequel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han
The Testing series - J. Charbonneau
The War That Saved My Life
We Are All Made of Molecules - Nielsen
How to speak dolphin by Ginny Rorby!