LM_NET  June 2018

LM_NET June 2018

What do academic degree programs teach about public programming?

Sarah Ostman <[log in to unmask]>

Sarah Ostman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:04:09 +0000

(The following is an update about ALA"s National Impact of Library Public Programs Assessment. Please share your thoughts via the link below!)

Planning public programs is a skill that's more and more important to library work, and we wanted to know: is that reflected in the curriculum? As part of our comprehensive review of the library programming landscape, we explored requirements in library degree programs across the US.

As part of ALA's review of the library programming landscape, we explored requirements in library degree programs across the US.

In 2017, we looked at all of the publicly available material on the websites of 58 English-language ALA-accredited library degree programs. That information includes overviews, course listings and descriptions, specializations and concentrations, and highlighted competencies. Here's what we found:

Competencies

Competencies vary in how explicit they are. Less than half (27) of the academic programs we reviewed listed an explicit public programming-related competency that graduating students should master. However, we note that no university defined the term services, and they used it inconsistently. Some universities explicitly included programming activities under services, while others did not. This variability has added some ambiguity to this review.

Degrees focus on a range of programming-related competencies. Explicit programming-related competencies typically fell into one or more of six major categories:

  1.  Community outreach and collaboration;
  2.  Working with diverse audiences;
  3.  Supporting general and specific literacies;
  4.  Creative thinking;
  5.  Experiential learning; and
  6.  General programming-related competencies.

Specializations & internships

Most degree programs allow students to specialize. Forty-one of the 58 degree programs offered specializations or concentrations within the Master's degree. None use the words "public programming," yet our knowledge of the field suggests that the following specializations may be related ...

Continue reading and comment online at http://nilppa.org/phase-1/what-do-academic-degree-programs-teach-about-public-programming/.

You can also share feedback by email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The National Impact of Library Public Programs Assessment (NILPPA) is a two-year research project of the American Library Association (ALA) in collaboration with New Knowledge Organization Ltd., a social science think tank. NILPPA: Phase 1 is made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). Learn more at http://nilppa.org/.

Sarah Ostman
Communications Manager
Public Programs Office
American Library Association