HIT: Challenging ten reader

ann chase-karel <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 May 2018 16:20:47 +0000

Hi all -
Thank you for the many, helpful responses! I have given her a few, and we'll see what "sticks."
Ann
******************************
Below, your list of suggestions:

Have you tried any books in verse? My middleschool students have gone crazy for them after I made a display and talked themup. They like being able to read a thick book in an hour or two. I'd start withSharon Creech's Love That Dog; Hate That Cat; Heartbeat; Granny Torrelli MakesSoup. Then I'd try Mountain Dog by Margarita Engle or Garvey's Choice by NikkiGrimes.

Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
Peanut by Ayun Halliday
Amulet series

Royal wedding series byMet Cabot

GIRL Online series

The selection series

Hot cocoa hearts, thewish series

Ttfn by Myracle, also oneof a series

Sarah Dessen books

Fairy mom and me byKinsella

TBH, this is so awkwardby Greenwald ,  written all in text messages

Tamora Pierce - theearlier, shorter series

Shannon Hale - retoldfairy tales

Kathryn Lasky - Guardiansof Gahoole

Royal Diaries series

Nancy Drew

My time as Caz Hazard byKyi

Matched by Condie

Bully by Liz Brown

Chat Room by Butcher

Dear Liz by Levigne

Eleanor and Park byRowell

 TADDONIO, Lea. First Dance. ISBN 9781 624021923.

––––. First Date. ISBN9781624021930.

––––. First Fight. ISBN9781624021947

––––. First Kiss. ISBN9781624021954

Ellie McDoodle by RuthMcNally Barshaw is the favorite for my girls who don't read well. Its format islike Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but Ellie finds a boyfriend so there is that elementin the plot. (I really can't believe how much the kids love this one this year.My girly girls, especially.) Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel is thefirst. She meets a boy in a campground - part of the plot.

Verse novels?

One of those Hideous Books Wherethe Mother Dies by Sonya Sones

Scholastic Wizard marks this book grades 9 - 12. I have it in mysixth grade library, and my kids who don't like long books have really lovedit. Fifteen-year-oldRuby Milliken leaves her best friend, her boyfriend, her aunt, and her mother'sgrave in Boston and reluctantly flies to Los Angeles to live with her father, afamous movie star who divorced her mother before Ruby was born.

Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall by Wendy Mass

Anything by Helen Frost.

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli?

Here are books from mysummer list that I have described for reading teachers in my secret easierreading list.

Kehret, Peg. Small Steps, TheYear I Got Polio (PB 2006)

You may have read Peg Kehret’sexciting adventure books. This book is her personal adventure of how shesurvived polio, a disease that paralyzed her from the neck down. It was onlythrough hard work that she was able to walk again.

(RL 4.8  Fast read, the printis large, white space on pages)

Kehret, Peg. Stolen Children(PB 2010)

The babysitting class Amy takesdoes not tell her what to do if the child she is watching is kidnapped and thekidnappers take her along.

(U, RL 4.5, easy plot to follow)

Buyea, Rob. Because of Mr.Terupt (PB 2011) Sequel Mr. Terupt Falls Again (PB 2013) SavingMr. Terupt

The new teacher figures out theclass quickly and gently encourages the students to be themselves. When he ishurt in an accident, the class must find a way to continue without him. Toldfrom the perspective of seven of the students.

(RL 3.7, popular book)

Frost, Helen. Diamond Willow(PB 2011)

Diamond wants to take her dog teamto her grandparents’ house, but the trip is more difficult than she hadimagined. The text on each page of this novel forms a diamond. (Note: the partof the book that isn't a diamond is more tricky because it has animals talking.Your reading could skip these sections and still understand. Her boyfriendrescues her, so the boyfriend element is part of the book.)

(RL 4.2, few words per page,adventure story.)

Korman, Gordon. Ungifted (PB2014)

Donovan isn’t gifted - unless hisgift is for getting into trouble. After his latest escapade (when he touched aball on a statue, and the heavy ball rolled down a hill, into the gym, ruiningthe championship game and the gym floor), the superintendent writes down hisname. Lucky for Donovan, he makes a mistake and writes it on a list of studentsto be recommended for the gifted school.

(V, RL 5, Straightforward plotabout a kid who is gifted at causing trouble but learns from his new classmatesthat academic success improves with effort)

McKissack, Patricia. AFriendship for Today (PB 2008)

Going to a new school is scary foranyone, but Rosemary is going to an integrated school for the first time. Herbest friend was supposed to go with her, but he is very sick with polio. Theonly other girl left out of the social scene is the girl they have alwayshated. Based on the author’s own life.

(RL 4.3, friendship story in acompelling setting)

She might try the Christy Miller series byRobin Jones Gunn. Romance, easy to understand, contemporary issues, innocent,reading level about 4.8, HS interest level.

One way to findpossibilities is to go to the AR book find site.  You can do an advancedsearch, and insert levels.  I told it fiction books, from 2.0 - 4.0 and atopic of character traits, but there are many others to choose from. There are many suggestions and I then check reviews on Amazon.  Take a bitof time, but her parents can use all of those resources too!

arbookfind.com

Stephanie Perry Moore books (for younger teens)

I have a similar studentwho loves the Dear Dumb Diary series

Lurlene McDaniels isstill popular here (will make you cry)

A Walk to Remember bySpark

Have you tried Benton's Dear Dumb Diary serieswith her? Or The Popularity Papers by Ipanow (sp?).  Also, there is thatresearch about large print format helping some students with readingdisabilities be more successful.

Ann ChaseLibrary Director Eagle Hill SchoolGreenwich, CT 06831