LM_NET  July 2018

LM_NET July 2018

William Shatner/More additions to list of articles about Wilder Award name change

Debbie Reese <[log in to unmask]>

Debbie Reese <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:00:37 -0500

Good morning!

I've added several more articles to my list of articles about the Wilder
award name change.

I think you all know that I support the change. I do, however, think it
important to know how people are responding to it--how their objections are
framed--so that we can be informed participants in the conversations about
the change and the content of the books, too.

My list is selective. I'm including articles written by people who object
to the change. There's interesting ones that are related, too, like last
week's conversations that took place on Twitter, when William Shatner
tweeted about it. I wrote a short piece about that for *The Guardian* but
this morning, I read an article that focused on Shatner's response to
Native people. I added that link today. Here's that article if you want to
go right to it:
https://www.inverse.com/article/46832-why-is-william-shatner-fighting-with-native-american-activists-on-twitter

And here's my page, with the list:

https://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2018/06/a-changethename-moment-laura-ingalls.html

I'm trying to avoid being redundant in what I list. And things that feel
deliberately provocative aren't there either. In particular, I'm not
listing the article that used "on the warpath" and "Sitting Bull on the
Prairie." That got printed in a lot of newspapers, but did not, in my
opinion, add to the conversations.

If you want to, please share this email with others, and if you look
through the articles and know of one that I should include, let me know!

Debbie

Debbie Reese, Ph.D.
Tribally enrolled: Nambé Pueblo

Publisher of American Indians in Children's Literature
<http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.net>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/debreese
Email: [log in to unmask]