LM_NET  May 2018

LM_NET May 2018

TAR: How do you shelve Pete the Cat books?

"Malget, Sherri D." <[log in to unmask]>

Malget, Sherri D.

Wed, 2 May 2018 21:45:07 +0000

Date:    Wed, 2 May 2018 11:41:25 -0400

From:    Carole Oglesby <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: TAR: How do you shelve Pete the Cat books?

Do you shelve your Pete the Cat books under Eric Litwin, who came up with the original book concept, wrote the first four books, and created the "I Love My White Shoes" song, or under James Dean, who created the character and has written all the books since 2012?

Currently I have mine in both places, but despise this solution, and am leaning towards Eric Litwin.

--

*Carole Oglesby*

*Malletts Bay School Librarian*

“The library is like a candy store where everything is free.”

― Jamie Ford

Carole:

I have decided to shelve Pete the Cat under E PET  (for Pete).

I also shelve my popular series that have multiple authors (Sophia, Barbie, etc) Under the first 3 letters of the character.

However, I have a few books, like an Olivia (primarily by Falconer), Curious George (REY)  that I have just moved to FAL (or primary author) so that the series is all together.

While we're talking about how we shelve/ label books: At one of my libraries I have also moved the graphic novels out of the 741.5 to Fiction (if that is their genre) and created a "graphic novel" section. This makes it easier to shelve, and for kids to find the popular titles. Plus  I often limit kids to 1 graphic book at a time so that they read other things.  If I had time I would like to do the same for my other library, but shelf space and time are factors.

I hope this isn't too confusing.  It works for my library. Just make it work for your library!

Sherri Malget, M.L.I.S. |Librarian

OKCPS

Hawthorne Elementary | Wed., Thurs., e/o Fri.

2300 NW 15th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73107

Office (405) 587-5900 | Library Office (405) 587-5924

Rancho Village | Mon., Tues., e/o Fri.

1401 Johnston Dr., Oklahoma City, OK 73119

Office (405) 587-9700 | Library Office (405) 587-9713