LM_NET  May 2018

LM_NET May 2018

Re: Charging for books.

"Hendrickson, Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>

Hendrickson, Deborah

Fri, 11 May 2018 12:46:45 -0400

Our policy is to charge. We expect our students to be respectful,
responsible, safe and kind. So we emphasize that responsible students pay
for their lost or damaged books. I always make a big deal of returning
money if the book turns back up (and tell the student that my
responsibility is to return the money.)

Students are learning skills at school that they once learned at home (at
least this is my view after over 30 years full-time in my building). So we
need to teach (and paying for one's library book is a life lesson.)

Yes, I agree that there will be some loss. It is the cost of doing
business. But our budgets are declining in many cases so we need to keep on
teaching responsibility. I used to lose about 12 books a year. Now it is
about 24 with so many transient students. But 24 books our of 12,000
circulated is not bad (and I also tell students that bringing back their
books or paying for them allows other classmates to read the books, not
just me!)

Deb

Deborah J. Hendrickson, Teacher-Librarian & Tech Leader
Westernport Elementary School
172 Church Street
Westernport, MD 21562
301-359-0511 (voice) 301-359-0411 (fax)

NOTE NEW ADDRESS of School Website
http://www.acpsmd.org/wt <http://www.acpsmd.org/Domain/358>
<http://boe.allconet.org/wt>

--
**Confidentiality and Disclaimer Notice*:  This email message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the recipient(s) and may contain