LM_NET  August 2018

LM_NET August 2018

Re: Book fair question

"Hendrickson, Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>

Hendrickson, Deborah

Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:41:18 -0400

Bonnie, and all,
I have given each student a coupon for a "free book" at the book fair for
the last several years. I have used grant funds. One time I used my book
fair profit from the year before, but I sweated it out re breaking even. I
did, but it was close. The way I do it, due to the grant funds, is a lot of
work, but it has been worth it. I think that most students appreciate their
"free" book. We are a 72% Title I school.

Unless you have only younger students, you have to say $6.99 (I give out
coupons.) Of course, the books that the younger students choose are usually
$3.99, but I felt like giving the coupon with the same amount was best for
public relations.

No change. No money exchanged. Students may not combine money with the
coupon. (I don't have the cash register open on Preview Day, anyway...) On
Book Fair Preview Day, each student selects a book, writes the title on the
coupon and their name. I put the books in a paper bag, with the coupon in
the book, one bag per classroom. If several students choose the same book,
I just put one copy of the book (with multiple coupon papers) in the bag
and return the other books to the fair. I don't want the fair wiped out
before the real buying starts! (I write the names of the PreK, K and
sometimes grade 1 students ahead...I also write the book title for those
grades. Then they go back to previewing the fair.)

After all have selected, I go through the bags (I have a teacher list, per
bag) and write down what books need to be ordered. Then I put the titles on
a master list and call in the order. (14 rooms so it's a lot of handling of
bags and books...probably three times...but the list of books that I order
is not huge since they are the popular books...)

As time permits, I run each bag through the cash register as "Purchase
Order" and use the same PO number for each bag (those grant funds) because
I need an exact amount of books purchased to access my grant funds. (The
funds are elsewhere, so after Scholastic is paid, I get the grant funds to
pay for the purchase.)  I do this after school or sometimes during the
fair, if I have lots of volunteers. (Students preview the fair during
library classes (I provide planning time for teachers), then I sell for two
full days the following week...) For those two days, my principal allows me
to cancel my various other obligations, such as small groups that I teach.

After the books that I ordered arrive, I put them in the correct bags and
send the bags to the classrooms. (Sometimes I need to find an extra book
for a student who has just moved in between the time that I have the fair
and hand out the books...so no one gets missed...)I have my fair just
before Thanksgiving, so I hand out the books in December. The hardest part
is answering that question (over and over) from the students, which is
"when will I get my "free" book!"

My building is PreK-5. Students may only select ONE book.  I have such a
small group of grandmother volunteers (and last year had to have my fair in
the school cafeteria because our elevator was broken, but that's another
story) so I have had to keep it simple (and go through the bags 3x myself.)
I have no library assistant.

The bill paid by the grant funds (from last year's fair) was $1,469.97
spent on "free" books for 262 students. So that is an average of $5.61
spent, per student. I ask for $6.00/student in grant funds, but feel
comfortable telling students that they can spend $6.99. Maybe your PTA
would put up the money or go 50-50 with you so that you could give out the
coupons up front, but this way works for me due to showing how the grant
funds have been used (and the shelves are not wiped out early...) Yes, I
make a profit on the grant funds, but I used the profit ($367.49 this year)
for the students in ways that corresponded to the grant proposal. So
everyone is happy.

Yes, this is a lot of work, but it is worth it.

I would be glad to send you a copy of my coupon and other materials.

Deb

Deborah J. Hendrickson, Teacher-Librarian & Tech Leader
Westernport Elementary School
172 Church Street
Westernport, MD 21562
301-359-0511 (voice) 301-359-0411 (fax)

NOTE NEW ADDRESS of School Website
http://www.acpsmd.org/wt <http://www.acpsmd.org/Domain/358>
<http://boe.allconet.org/wt>

--
**Confidentiality and Disclaimer Notice*:  This email message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the recipient(s) and may contain