Re: New schedule Help Please!

Barbara Braxton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Aug 2018 07:49:57 +1000

There are many who will envy your situation because it means that you can focus on something and follow through with it still in the children's minds, rather than the break in which they get an awful lot of other stuff piled in.

Even though you are covering teacher prep time, you can still have a purposeful, meaningful, collaborative program with them so I would be meeting with each to discover what they are planning in class and how your unique teacher librarian skills can support this.  For instance, why not spend a week working on demonstrating how to ask the best questions to guide their research, or locating resources within and beyond the library, or any one of the other essential elements of the information literacy process.  http://500hats.edublogs.org/information-literacy-process/  Teachers will know what their focus is and how what you know can dovetail into that. Even if it is not directly tied to the classroom topic, and in fact I would diversify from that, the skills the students will learn are directly applicable and transferable and in collaboration with the teacher, assessable if you are required to do so. If you still want to do centres, then you can align these to the process you've been exploring as a consolidation activity. Look to teach and support context and processes rather than content and products so that you know that you are helping students develop lifelong learning skills.

In Australia we are called teacher librarians and we must have a teaching degree and experience before we add the L part to our label, after a second degree at masters level.  So we are required to always put the teaching part first and this is great advocacy because it demonstrates that our roles cannot be covered by someone without that degree.  So I urge you to consider that - show how you can support the teachers by providing an adjunct to their classroom curriculum.

Good luck.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)
Dromkeen Librarian's Award 2003
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA
Together, we learn from each other