Internet Archive

Leslie Sutherlin <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:12:46 -0500

The jury is out on the To Kill a Mockingbird eversion on Internet Archive.

I have most responses that this is not a legal version and one response
that every item on the Internet Archive is in the public domain or has been
given permission for use.

The copy scanned at Internet Archive lists lists McIntosh and Otis as the
firm providing permission, but when I researched them I found this
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2013/09/06/mockingbird-lawsuit-settlement/2778479/>
about a lawsuit against the McIntosh and Otis literary agents that Harper
Lee feels duped her into signing away rights.  McIntosh and Otis, Inc was
also suing these employees. This makes me concerned that Internet Archive
published with unauthorized permission.

Internet Archive's Terms of Agreement says "Access to the Archive’s
Collections is provided at no cost to you and is granted for scholarship
and research purposes only."  Is my English teacher using this for research
and scholarship?...I think so...

However, their terms also say...The Archive does not endorse or sponsor any
content in the Collections, nor does it guarantee or warrant that the
content available in the Collections is accurate, complete, *noninfringing*,
or *legally accessible* in your jurisdiction, and you agree that you are
solely responsible for abiding by all laws and regulations that may be
applicable to the viewing of the content. In addition, the Collections are
provided to you on an as-is and as-available basis. *You agree that your
use of the Site and the Collections is at your sole risk*. You understand
and agree that the Archive makes no warranty or representation regarding
the accuracy, currency, completeness, reliability, or usefulness of the
content in the Collections, that the Site or the Collections will meet your
requirements, that access to the Collections will be uninterrupted, timely,
secure, or error free, or that defects, if any, will be corrected. We make
no warranty of any kind, either express or implied. [Bold is mine]

Internet Archive never says it assures all items are used with permission,
and it later states that violation of copyright violations are the
responsibility of the author/owner.  Anyone can upload copy of any book
with out any approval.  Internet Archive says it will remove if author
complains, but no one at Internet Archive is policing materials posted
there.

I am leaning toward this as an unauthorized version.

--
*Leslie Sutherlin*
*SDCSC School Librarian*

*Voicemail @ 812-926-3772 ext. 62200*
*South Dearborn High School, 5770 Highlander Place, Aurora, IN 47001   *
*812-926-3772*
*South Dearborn Middle School, 5850 Squire Place, Aurora, IN 47001
**812-926-6298
ext. 20231*
*Aurora Elementary School, 6098 Squire Place., Aurora, IN 47001
 812-926-2222 ext. 13111*
*Dillsboro Elementary School, 13200 North Street., Dillsboro, IN 47018
812-432-5448*
*Manchester Elementary School, 9387 State Road 48, Aurora, IN 47001 *
*1-812-926-1140 *
*Moores Hill Elementary School, 14733 Main Street, Moores Hill, IN 47032
 812-744-3184*

Currently reading...

*All the Light We Cannot See *by Anthony Doerr

"In no way can China serve as the model for the future. In fact, we don't
yet have a model that will meet the needs of a global future. We will have
to invent one."  Yong Zhao

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attachments are for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and