HIT: DEWEY 500s LIST

"Sacks, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>

Sacks, Doug

Sun, 1 Feb 2015 04:24:23 +0000

My original query was about a specific list that would show how the 500s were broken down so I could fix the mistakes of previous catalogers and keep the same animals together.

I got many responses and a several requests for a hit.  I thank you all for your help but especially to Jo Dowson who sent me her lists. I am very grateful.

Here are the responses in no particular order:
1. Here are couple of site I know about

http://www.library.illinois.edu/ugl/about/dewey.html

http://www.cf.k12.wi.us/library/deweydecimal.htm

2. Start with http://www.library.illinois.edu/ugl/about/dewey.html or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dewey_Decimal_classes#Class_500_.E2.80.93_Science
(although you will have to translate what some of the terms actually
mean) .  Then go to http://dewey.info/class/599/about.en for a breakdown of 599.
The latter site also has the breakdowns on the other numbers too.  I found it
helped the kids if I had all the spider books together, all the butterflies, all
the ants and so forth.  The call number went to three decimal places for some
but they didn't look at those so much as the signage and the labels.  Helped
even the very youngest become independent.

3. First, Sears won't have *every* type of mammal, bird, fish, etc. since
it is an example list, not an exhaustive list.  It has the common ones
(and ones that caught the fancy of previous editors), but may not have
some specific ones.  You can download the 19th edition (2007) in pdf
format from <http://support.epnet.com/knowledge_base/detail.php?id=5877>.
Searching the pdf may be faster than manually going through the book.

4. I would look at CIP on the back of the title page and see what the recommend Dewey number is. (CIP=cataloging in publication)

5. Itís not for everyone, but I made my wild animal section user-friendly, retaining the call number but adding an extra spine label with the name of the animal.

6. This is my fav site for all things Dewey http://www.library.illinois.edu/ugl/about/dewey.html

7. I found this website: http://dewey.info/class/59/2009-08/about.en Maybe it can help you.

8. Since Dewey.info has been dumped on the Web, the easiest thing might be to go to Google and type in Dewey (and the name of the animal you want the number for) and see what Dewey info brings back:  e.g Dewey bat brings up 599.4.

9. http://www.cf.k12.wi.us/library/deweydecimal.htm However some animals might be in the 600's for pets.

Doug Sacks, K-5 LMS
Central and West Belmar Schools
Wall, NJ 07719