LM_NET  January 2016

LM_NET January 2016

Target: Elementary/Middle School Survey for Students.

"O'Toole, Maura" <[log in to unmask]>

O'Toole, Maura

Sun, 3 Jan 2016 23:09:26 -0500

Hi All,

Susan E. Goodman has been so generous to the school libraries where I have
worked, always willing to come for an author visit, supporting a local
non-profit that funds author visits. Susan has written a large variety of
non-fiction books including "How Do You Burp in Space?" and "See How They
Run". I can't say enough good things about Susan, and when she asked me to
help promote the survey she is doing for her new book, I jumped at the
chance. The book is about the first court case against segregation in
Boston in 1840, "The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation on Trial",
beautifully illustrated by E.B. Lewis. Details about accessing the survey
is below, and I am hoping some librarians might want to have their students
take it tomorrow on their first day back. Email me with any questions you
might have.

*Maura O'Toole*

*Library CoordinatorThe Mather School1 Parish StDorchester, MA
02122http://www.matherelementary.org/
<https://expost.mybps.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.matherelementary.org/>http://www.donorschoose.org/ms.otoole
<https://expost.mybps.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.donorschoose.org/ms.otoole>*
*https://twitter.com/mauraotoole <https://twitter.com/mauraotoole>*

    Susan E. Goodman is the author of a recently published picture book on
the first legal challenge of segregation in Boston in the late 1840s.  As
an outgrowth of writing *The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation
on *Trial,
she decided to create an anonymous survey that would give students an
opportunity to think and talk about their own experiences with race
relations and integration.  If used in school, it could also be a
springboard for class discussion.

            Goodman wrote and tested The KIDS SPEAK OUT! Survey with the
help of a diverse group of experts (educational testing consultants,
psychologists, professors of Africana studies and race relations, and
educators in public schools).

            This anonymous survey is posted on www.thefirststepbook.net.   By
selecting, “Learn more about The KIDS SPEAK OUT! Survey,” you can preview
the survey, review bibliographies Goodman has collected about using picture
books to discuss diversity and justice, and find lessons plans from
organizations, such as Teaching Tolerance.  Goodman has also asked
interested teachers to write in about their own uses of the survey, so she
can create an ongoing resource for educators.

            Once the KIDS SPEAK OUT! Survey has collected a critical mass
of results, it will be shown at www.thefirststepbook.net.  The data will be
reported in charts and graphs, along with representative examples of
student comments for qualitative questions.  Results will also be updated
at regular intervals.

            Hopefully students will be interested in comparing their
opinions and ideas with kids in their classrooms and all across the
country.  Teachers can use the data in lesson plans, from an even more
personalized take on the five-paragraph essay and survey results in
conjunction with social studies to having students read and analyze these
for math homework.