Citing Google

Naomi Bates <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Sep 2016 18:46:26 +0000

YABAM blog: www.naomibates.blogspot.com

From: School Library Media & Network Communications <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Amy Ipp <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hit: Citing Google (long but worth it)

A big thank you to our community!

Original Query:

Dear Colleagues-

This might be a dumb question but here goes-the students often ask me how
to cite Google-for example, if they google the population of a country and
they come back with an actual number.

Here's my answer: Google got this information from somewhere-find a
reliable source and then cite that. We don't need to actually cite Google
itself.

I realize this may be different for images.

Am I correct? on the right track?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Here are the answers I received:

 might go further. If all I want to know is the population of Tuscaloosa,
glancing at Google might be ok. If I want to REPORT on an ACCURATE
population count for Tuscaloosa, I need to click through to the information
to provide credible source.

I had a similar inquiry from a seventh-grader last year who asked "Siri" a
question and wanted to know how to cite it. I like Siri, too--but I'm not
sure she's "research-worthy."

It's a good time to have a conversation about credibility and source, I
think.

Google is a search engine, it only finds the place/container where the
information is held.  They have to cite that place/container

I think you are going in the right direction.  Even Google images have an
original source.  They need to select the picture and then select the
enlarge picture it takes you to original site.  They should also know if
they have permission to use such pictures.  If they use the advanced search
they can select the Usage Rights then select Free to Use or Share then they
are probably safely following copyright.  They can always contact the
original source and explain the usage and most give permission.

As a librarian I tell the students the same thing you pointed out in your
email.
You need a credible source for information.  When you find that source,
cite that specific source.
For credibility, you also need the URL and that should be included in your
citation.

Now, as a doctoral student, one thing I keep in mind as I research is that
whatever I cite, the reader of my work must be able to find that piece of
information.  As a researcher, I cannot provide a general citation or my
work will not be trusted.

I also tell students that citations must leave a trail.  If I cannot follow
that trail, your research may be suspect.

The same goes with using secondary sources. But that may be a conversation
for another day.
Not too many high school students are using secondary sources and
considering tracking down an original source.

Even pictures from Google Images come from somewhere else.  They should
never cite Google.

I explain it this way……..Google is like a highway you take to get
somewhere. You don’t talk about the highway…..you talk about the town or
city or place. For example, you may mention you are going to Kansas City
this weekend to shop. To get there, you must take I-70 but you don’t
mention or say to people you are going to I-70 to shop……you talk about the
designation only.

Even pictures from Google Images come from somewhere else.  They should
never cite Google.

I explain it this way……..Google is like a highway you take to get
somewhere. You don’t talk about the highway…..you talk about the town or
city or place. For example, you may mention you are going to Kansas City
this weekend to shop. To get there, you must take I-70 but you don’t
mention or say to people you are going to I-70 to shop……you talk about the
designation only.

You are correct. Students shouldn't be citing google. I use this example:
If you drive your car to the store to buy milk, you did not get the milk
from your car, you got it at the market. Google is like the car--it is how
you got there, not where you got the information.

Just to chime in, if anyone wants to get updates on a project we are
launching with my school and some other high schools and middle schools,
just email me. The project involves having students learn to license and
share their images (mostly photos and digital art), and thereby learn more
about crediting, freelance culture, open ed resources, more…
Thanks,
Melissa

Melissa Techman, MLS, NBCT
School Librarian
Western Albemarle High School
5941 Rockfish Gap Turnpike, Crozet, VA 22932
434-823-8700

Twitter: @mtechman

--
Amy Ipp
Librarian

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of
an ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite