HIT-> E-books in HS, Fall 2016

Michele Wickman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 Sep 2016 07:16:45 -0400

*I posted this last week, and received these helpful responses. Thanks for
your input!*

Michele Wickman, Librarian

North Stafford High School, Stafford, VA 22554

(540)-658-6150

I've been using OverDrive for some e-content, and Kindles pre-loaded with
titles as well. The kindles were a hot item several years ago, but their
use has tapered off. Probably because mine are Paperwhites, not Fires!
Initially, I had students sign an agreement stating the price of the
Kindle, and had their parents sign it before I checked them out, but I no
longer feel the need to do that.

The OverDrive content finally took off this year, after the initial rollout
in 2013. In my experience, anything new takes about three years to take
hold.

Hope this helps.

We use Overdrive. It is promoted much more at the Middle School with the
8th graders. I remind students about it when I present to the Freshman
Seminar classes at the High School.

[image: https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif]

My district bought a subscription to Overdrive. The librarians met with
sales reps from Follett and Overdrive, and opted for Overdrive in part
because it’s the same program used at our local public library and we
wanted to be able to promote it for lifelong reading. The district has
committed money to it for the past three years and each site chips in some
money from the site library budget. One librarian offered to serve as a
sort of manager, so we can all pick books and put them in a cart, then she
manages the actual purchase.

A few schools have purchased e-readers, but those devices are on lock-down
by the district IT because of the need to filter internet access, control
access to downloading apps, etc. The librarians asked IT which e-readers
would be approved and were told only a $350 tablet, so we promote access
using student personal devices and school Chromebooks.