HIT- books with Peace theme

Kerry Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Sep 2016 08:38:03 -0400

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions for books with a peace theme.  Here’s your suggestions:

Paulie Pastrami Achieved World Peace by James Proimos (I read this to my 2nd and 3rd grade classes and they LOVED it!)

Seeds of freedom : the peaceful integration of Huntsville, Alabama
Mother Teresa : helping the poor
Who is Malala Yousafzai?
Twenty-two cents : Muhammad Yunus and the Village Bank
All the World
Ferdinand
The smallest girl in the Smallest Grade
Invisible Boy
Anything with Malala Yousafa
Anything MLK
A Long Walk for Water by Linda Sue Park.
The Sandwich Swap by Queen Knorr
14 Cows for America by Carmen Deedy.
Truce by Jim Murphy
Schooled by Gordon Korman
"The Enemy" by Davide Cali.
Mr. Wiggles
Somewhere today: a book of peace by Thomas
The peace book by Parr
Can you say Peace by Katz
Peace by Halperin
What does Peace feel like? by Radunsky
Peace Week in Miss Fox’s Class by Eileen Spinelli

the Jane Addams Children's Book Award website:
http://www.janeaddamspeace.org/jacba/docs/JACBAawards.pdf <http://www.janeaddamspeace.org/jacba/docs/JACBAawards.pdf>

Personally, I would recommend David Wiesner's Mr Wuffles: inter-species and inter-planetary friendship and collaboration, and working together for the small and vulnerable without actually doing harm to the large predator. It's not going to shop up with the subject heading of "Peace" but I think it really embodies interesting ideas about how you make peace with people who feel different to you and what that means on a concrete level. I think it's an extraordinary piece of work in the way that it could generate conversations at multiple levels of intellectual and emotional development. And it's funny!
This is not an easy task. Good luck!

I immediately thought of "Listen to the Wind: The Story of Dr. Greg and Three Cups of Tea" By Susan L. Roth and Greg Mortenson. A true story that takes place in the Middle East and how a man returns to build a school in a mountainous village as thanks for being taken care of after becoming sick while traveling. I think it is a great story to to teach about peace considering how volatile that part of the world  usually is. It is a picture book that would be good for all grades.

***
I was at a PD on Friday and there was a session with books talks with Peace as the theme of several of the books.  I will send you the link.
Power of Peace Book Talks <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ldMuuHop5hMQwHP6G1nWfRTR_E8IWLyE153K_IZuBZk/edit?usp=sharing>
CPS Librarians Tamela Chambers, Sheryl Osborne-Warner, Shanalin Leo-Bain, Lies Garner, Erin McDonald This session highlights books from the new 2016 PK-12 Power of Peace recommended book list.  These books represent themes of friendship, tolerance, cooperation, conflict avoidance and peace.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ldMuuHop5hMQwHP6G1nWfRTR_E8IWLyE153K_IZuBZk/edit#slide=id.p <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ldMuuHop5hMQwHP6G1nWfRTR_E8IWLyE153K_IZuBZk/edit#slide=id.p>

Kerry Ferguson
Librarian
Blessed Sacrament School
808 East Street