Re: Website evaluation

Barbara Braxton <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Sep 2016 09:50:50 +1000

I have developed S.M.A.R.T.
This is a table I developed … which will lose its formatting so I've listed the questions to be asked with each letter underneath

S	Suitable
Does the information answer my questions?
Is it in language I can read and understand?
Are there images which directly illustrate the text?

M	Manageable
Is it easy to navigate?
Is the information in chunks that I can manage?
Is it easy to read with headings and a clear font?

A	Accurate
Who has taken responsibility for the information?
Is it from a reliable source?
Are there references so that I can cross-check the information?

R	Reliable
Who owns the website?
Is the information likely to be objective?
Is it telling me something or selling me something?
What can I learn about the site from the URL?

T	Timely
Is the information up to date?

Create a checklist of a ‘perfect’ website which highlights the features they should look for including
o   a title which clearly indicates the content
o   author and credentials
o   organisation taking responsibility for the information
o   contact details for author or organisation
o   date of publications and latest update
o   navigation tools
o   search tool
o   hyperlinks to other websites and references which will confirm the information
o   good design principles
o   clear images with good resolution
o   appropriate language and sentence structure
o   privacy is protected
This is developed into a checklist and a point is awarded for each feature a website has – makes it easier for them to determine which one they should use.  Of course, they get quicker and more discerning as they get older but as a scaffold, it works for me.

I am also including a compilation of links that have been sent to the list over time and which were relevant two years ago - you would need to check them to see if they are live and meet your needs.
http://www.eduscapes.com/tap/topic32.htm

http://wanderings.edublogs.org/2008/12/17/a-website-evaluation-puzzle/

You can find out who is really behind a website using http://www.alexa.com/ or http://www.whois.net/

http://www.radcab.com/

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/external/1943 (This used to be a poster but the link to that is dead.)

http://teams.lacoe.edu/documentation/classrooms/gayle/evaluate/evaluate.html

http://dclibrary.edu.glogster.com/evaluating-information/ (CRAP test)

http://www.schrockguide.net/uploads/3/9/2/2/392267/abceval.pdf (Kathy Schrock)

http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/workshops.cfm?subpage=623219

http://library.acadiau.ca/tutorials/webevaluation/

http://wanderingbooknut.weebly.com/web-evaluation-webinar.html

http://21cif.com/tools/evaluate/evalWizard_beta_1.1.html  website evaluation tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxu7eZrPUyQ

http://hhs.twinriversusd.org/students

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/lesson/identifying-high-quality-sites-6-8 Commonsense Media is excellent for a lot of things

http://webeval.researchready.com/ website evaluation tool

In 2013 at the ASLA conference, Erica McWilliam (the keynote speaker) talked about Strategic Scepticism developed by Brian Mull from November Learning https://iteachpublic.wikispaces.com/Web+Literacy . His acronym is: GET REAL.
G: Go
E: Explore
T: this Topic
Raising yellow and red flags
R: Read the URL (net? org? edu?)
E: Examine the contents by skimming and scanning
A: Ask about the author
L: who are they linked to?

I have other stuff that I can't send via the list because attachments are stripped so I will put it on my 500 Hats blog over the next couple of days.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)
Dromkeen Librarian's Award 2003
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA
Together, we learn from each other