parents who self -publish - what to do?

Esther Schnaidman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:21:25 -0400

Dear LM_NETTERS,
  I have a sticky situation which comes up every few years.  Do you have
parents who have self- published a book and want you to promote it?  The
books in question are pretty substandard in many ways.   For starters,
the level and content don't fit the intended audience. In addition, the
stories are not well-developed. I feel like if they would work with an
editor, perhaps they could make something of it.
I've had more than one parent pressing me, and don't seem to take "no"
as an answer.  I very kindly suggested that one should  work with an
agent who will help her, but that back-fired. In order to avoid this
awkward situation, I told her that our policy is to only buy books from
a mainstream publisher.  She sees that self-publishing is the wave of
the future of libraries.  (yikes)
I'm curious to know - Do any school or public libraries actually
purchase self- published books? If you have had a similar situation, how
have you dealt with it?
Thank you,
Esther Schnaidman, librarian
Rosenbaum Yeshiva of North Jersey