Re: parents who self -publish - what to do?

Annie Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Annie Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:55:32 -0400

I had this problem with one "author". After being nice didn't work. I told him this was not a book I would choose for my collection and gave a few of the reasons. He was not happy, but my job, in this situation, was to use my professional judgement to develop the best possible collection for my students, not to stroke a parent's ego. I also kept my principal up to date on my interactions as soon as the first offer was made and was clear about what my objections were to the book. And who is this hack writer to tell you what the wave of the future is for libraries? You are the professional in the field. Don't be pushed around.

Annie Miller
Librarian
Greenwich, NY