HIT: Students creating Kahoot accounts

"Beeler, Shelli" <[log in to unmask]>

Beeler, Shelli

Wed, 28 Sep 2016 08:11:56 -0400

I was asked to provide a HIT. Here are the responses I received:

*Regarding the use of Kahoot in the classroom:*

I use Kahoot a lot.  We even did our battle of the the books with it last
year.  The teacher has to login and set up the quiz or quizzes.  Students
just need to go to the website and enter the code for the quiz so they
don't ask for student info.  It's very well done.

Kahoot is super easy and I've used it in my English 7 classes.  The
students love that they can use their cellphones to answer.  One word of
caution, tell the students they must use their initials for their names or
they will spend a large amount of time coming up with a "cool" screen name!
It really is an awesome interactive tool.  Many of our math teachers use it
as well!

Kahoot is awesome. Our kids use it all the time.  Another great one is
Quizizz

*Regarding student creation of accounts*:

Several of my eighth graders have accounts, and they use it to make games
for projects.  I didn't ask them to create them, though.  I have an account
and use it all the time.  I haven't seen anything that would be concerning,
although there is an open library of content that anyone can add to and
view.  There's always a chance of something inappropriate getting in there,
but I haven't run across that myself.  Good luck!

I teach in the School Library Media program at UWG and many of my students
use Kahoot for this purpose. They are totally pleased with it and feel it
is an excellent, safe, reliable tool.
Thanks for the helpful responses!  In the end, our IT Dept gave the
go-ahead to the teacher, since there does not appear to be any issue with
security/safety.  If anything arises as far as content, we will reevaluate.

--
Shelli Beeler
Nelson Middle School Librarian