Richie’s Picks: CIRCLE

Richie Partington <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 2016 02:00:20 -0400

Richie’s  Picks:  CIRCLE by Jeannie Baker, Candlewick, May 2016, 48p.,
ISBN:  978-0-7636-7966-8
“There  you stood on the edge of your feather,
Expecting  to fly.”
--  Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield, 1967
“In  a place where mud and sand become sea,
a  godwit with white wing patches flies up with his flock.
The  moment is right for the long journey north.”
CIRCLE  by Jeannie Baker is one of the most beautiful science books I have
ever seen. If  I were still in retail bookselling, in addition placing it
with children’s  picture books, I would also display this title in the coffee
table book section.  The artwork and its reproduction onto the pages of this
fascinating bird  migration story, is that good. The story will appeal to
adults as well as to  children.
CIRCLE  is dramatic, both in image and narrative. There are mind-blowing
illustrations  that depict flying and looking downward. We see the creation of
new life as the  result of innate mating rituals and death from predators.
We also see the  environmental challenges resulting from the loss of natural
habitat and that  people and birds can coexist in undeveloped, protected
areas.
As  Baker explains in the Author’s Note, “The bar-tailed godwits (Limosa
lapponica  baueri) in this story make the longest unbroken journey of any
animal in the  world. Before each Arctic winter they migrate more than 7,000
miles [11,265  kilometers] from their northern home in Alaska to their
southern home in  Australia and New Zealand, without even stopping to rest.”
I’m  going to keep that in mind the next time I start to grouse because the
nearest  parking space is three blocks from my destination.
Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's  Picks_ http://richiespicks.pbworks.com_
(http://richiespicks.com/)
https://www.facebook.com/richie.partington