Re: MID: book pulled from curriculum

Julie Dahlhauser <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 2016 14:07:00 -0500

Cathy,

I just want to offer my moral support, for what it's worth, and the hope
that this will lead to some healthy conversations in your community. It is
deeply ironic that this is taking place during Banned Book Week. It's also
ironic that the book is about a person who was bullied by the school into
keeping silence about an issue.

I had a young teacher ask me about my Banned Books display a few days ago,
and he said, "But that was only the Communists and the Nazis a long time
ago, right?" And I mentioned your situation. So it may be some small
comfort to know that you are providing a teachable moment for others around
the country.

I wish you all the best. Keep us posted! And please report the situation to
the ALA:
http://www.ala.org/bbooks/challengedmaterials/reporting

Julie Dahlhauser, Librarian
Haywood High School