Re: International Social Media Connections

Barbara Braxton <[log in to unmask]>

Barbara Braxton <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Sep 2016 08:06:01 +1000

Hi Nil
This has been done a lot over time and the key thing we found was to make sure that you understand the difference in the school years.  Schools in Australia and New Zealand have their longest break over Christmas - January and students move into new classes as a new academic year begins in early February. So you need to schedule things around that.  Many schools will also start a two-week spring break within the next couple of weeks (timetable depends on the state) and then there is the 10 week rundown to Christmas so a lot of programs are already in place.

Don't want to sound negative but the scheduling of such things is critical.

Don't know what platform you are planning to use but you would have to make sure the students can access it and are allowed to do so.  Some educational jurisdictions have very tight rules for children in primary schools regardless of the benefits of letting them learn to use real-world social media safely.  We were unable to operate an online book club for this reason.

Good luck - the few times we did this (in the days before the Internet got 'scary") were very rewarding for everyone.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)
Dromkeen Librarian's Award 2003
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA
Together, we learn from each other