HIT => Successful BoxTops program for Middle Schools?

Brandy Huffman <[log in to unmask]>

Brandy Huffman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:30:24 -0400

Original Post:
Hi all!  I do BoxTops for my school, but it has kind of faltered the last
few years because I haven't been consistent at promoting it.  When I was
promoting, I had kids write their names on the backs of BoxTops, and I
would put them in a drawing.  The two winners were able to pick a prize
from my prize closet.  However, it seemed like it was still always the same
student bringing the BoxTops in.  I want to really promote this program
again, but I wondered if any of you out there had very successful programs
with it that would share any tips or your prize incentives?  As far as
population goes, we have about 500 students with a high percentage of those
receiving free and reduced lunches.

Here are the responses that I received:
"We do it by class (divided by the # of students in the class). The peer
pressure really works!  They get an extra recess. (We are K-5)."

"Hey, would your principal put the box top drive on the school marquee?
That way, grandparents and community members who may not attend PTA
meetings or get school info will see the BoxTop Drive information, too!"

"We have about the same demographics and we have a really successful
program. What we do is the top earning class earns a popcorn party or movie
day."

"I gave the class with the most box tops a $50 gift card to the book Fair.
Teachers really got on board and pushed it."

"In our middle school,  we have a "toolbox" that is really a "prize box."
I have stickers, candy, gum, bookmarks and 'coupons for an extra checkout
book at the library.'   I also try to find free things and things that cost
4 cents or less for the prize box.  Students get as many prizes as Box Tops.
I still make at least 6 cents per Box Top.  It has worked out well for us.
They can come to the library to redeem and also one of the teachers has
always offered to host a "prize box" in their classroom."

"Brandy, the one thing that I've seen really rock with middle schoolers is
when they were allowed to move to the front of the lunch line with a box top!
 Also, there is a new app but I haven't checked it out yet!"

Thank you so much to everyone that offered suggestions and ideas!  What I
have done so far is to use a BoxTop Buck that I found online (looks like a
dollar bill with spots for 10 BoxTops).  When a student completes one and
returns it, they get an Airhead.  I bought the Airheads at Sams Club for
about 9-10 cents a piece, so I should still make about .90 on each
completed Buck.  I'm excited to see how it goes!  I'm also promoting the
app.  :)

Brandy Huffman, BA, MLS
Media Coordinator
Walter Johnson Middle School
701 Lenoir Rd
Morganton, NC 28655
(828)430-7340

*Join us in supporting our Media Center! *
*DonorsChoose proposals:  *www.donorschoose.org/brandy.huffman
<http://help.donorschoose.org/hc/en-us/articles/203235497>
*Pinterest* Wish List Board:
https://www.pinterest.com/bhuffman1081/library-wish-list/
*Wish List*:
https://sites.google.com/a/burke.k12.nc.us/walter-johnson-media-center/ways-to-support-the-media-center

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you
want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
Albert Einstein

"We have an obligation to support libraries. To use libraries, to encourage
others to use libraries, to protest the closure of libraries. If you do not
value libraries then you do not value information or culture or wisdom. You
are silencing the voices of the past and you are damaging the future."
Neil Gaiman

--

------------------------------
*Mission Statement*The mission of Burke County Public Schools is to educate

*Vision Statement *Burke County Public Schools, a world-class model of
exemplary education, inspires students to be life-long learners who can
compete successfully on the global stage and contribute to their community
as productive citizens.

This email is for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it has
been addressed. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor an agent
responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, any
disclosure, retransmission, copying, or taking action in reliance upon the
message contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, you should notify the sender immediately. All email
correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina public records law, which could result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.