10 Questions for Library Aides/Assistants/Associates

Mary Hazelton <[log in to unmask]>

Mary Hazelton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:52:45 +0000

Greetings!

I am working on my MLS and, for an upcoming assignment, I need input from library aides, assistants, or associates regarding their work experiences. I am worried I won't have enough time before the assignment is due to process the information from the meeting I have arranged with a local contact, so I am hopeful that someone here would be willing to answer the following ten questions. It would be helpful to hear from multiple perspectives, as well. I am really looking forward to hearing from you all.

It would also be helpful if you include the type of library where you are working.

Thanks in advance!

Ten Questions for Library Aides, Assistants, or Associates

1.     Which aspect of your formal education best prepared you for this work?

2.     What did you need to learn to be efficient in your role as librarian associate that was not addressed by your formal education?

3.     What have you found to be the most unexpected challenge of your work?

4.     Do you feel your professional input is welcomed among your colleagues and supervisors?

5.     Do you get to work or interact with students often (i.e. small groups, lessons, reading time, etc.)?

6.     What are some ways that your library strives to be involved in the community?

7.     What types of professional development opportunities have you been presented with? Which helped the most?

8.     What kinds of tasks do you handle that the librarian doesn't?

9.     Who evaluates you, and on what criteria?

10.  How do you deal with discipline when students/children come into the library and break rules?

-

---

M.C. Hazelton, MLS candidate at MTSU, [log in to unmask]