HIT: Picture books with mixed race kids

Debbie Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Sep 2016 07:24:47 -0500

The following annotated list was mostly compiled by a parent.  I have added
recommendations from this listserv;

*Suggested books about differences and/or biracial children:*

*I'm Like You, You're Like Me: A Book About Understanding and Appreciating
Each Other *“It’s fun to find ways I’m like you and you’re like me. It’s
fun to find ways we’re different.” In this colorful, inviting book, kids
from preschool to lower elementary learn about diversity in terms they can
understand: hair that’s straight or curly, families with many people or
few, bodies that are big or small. With its wide-ranging examples and fun,
highly detailed art, *I’m Like You, You’re Like Me *helps kids appreciate
the ways they are alike and affirm their individual differences. A two-page
adult section in the back provides tips and activities for parents and
caregivers to reinforce the themes and lessons of the book.”

*Hardback: $13.48 Paperback: $9.99 *

*Mixed Me! (Book about biracial boy with AA dad and white mom) *“Mike has
to answer LOTS of questions about being mixed. And he does, with LOTS of
energy and joy in this charming story about a day in the life of a
mixed-race child.”
Hardcover: $13.95

*Mixed Blessings (book about a biracial boy with Jamaican mom and Irish
dad)*
“A young son discovers he does not have exactly the same skin color as
either parent. He questions this revelation and his parents explain using
animals during a visit to the zoo. A candid look at children of mixed race
and multiculturalism learning about their identity for the first time
through a colorful, illustrative story. The author uses her own experience
to write this book about children questioning their appearance and
acceptance in society. A fun learning book for any age which will aid in
the prevention of bullying and the acceptance of differences”
*Paperback: $11.55*

*I Am Mixed* (I Am Book Series 1) *(biracial boy and girl with AA mom and
white dad) *

“Jay and Nia are the children of two worlds, and as they will discover,
they can enjoy the best of both. From Mommy's jazz beats to Daddy's
classical piano, we will dance with the twins through a book that explores
what it is to be of mixed ancestry, proving that a child is more than the
sum of their parents.

*Hardcover: $11.68*

*Books not about race, but with diverse characters:*

*I Am Living in 2 Homes* (I Am Book)

“Jay and Nia are the children of two worlds and two homes. Follow the twins
from I AM MIXED as they both address the difficulties of having parents who
are no longer together and discover the benefits of having two very
different homes to explore and enjoy.
*Hardcover: $12.83*

* Am Awesome! *(I Am Book Series 3)
“What makes you Awesome? Whatever makes you... YOU! Join Jay, Nia, and
their friends from the *I Am Book Series* to celebrate the things that make
each child unique and special. *I AM AWESOME* engages the reader in
subjects that include being brave, never giving up, and what it means to be
a good friend. The book helps children discover identity through
imagination, teaching kids to love themselves and enjoy what makes them
Awesome!”
*Hardcover: $14.99*

*A Fairy Tale Treasury (Dover Children's Classics)*
“From a great giant to a tiny child and from a wicked stepmother to a
kindly granny, all of the characters in these classic folktales are African
Americans. Children will delight in the timeless pleasures of these six
fairy tales: *Rapunzel*, in which the heroine's long hair forms a ladder
for her rescue; *Cinderella*, a tale of patience and humility rewarded; *Beauty
and the Beast*, the triumph of true love over appearances; *Little Red
Riding Hood*, involving a close call with a crafty wolf; the search for
what is "just right" in *Goldilocks and the Three Bears*; and a foolish
boy's transformation into a hero in *Jack and the Beanstalk*.”
*Paperback: 14.99*

*Brothers of the Knight*
“Reverend Knight can't understand why his twelve sons' sneakers are torn to
threads each and every morning, and the boys aren't talking. They know
their all-night dancing wouldn't fit with their father's image in the
community. Maybe Sunday, a pretty new nanny with a knack for getting to the
bottom of household mysteries, can crack the case. This modern, hip
retelling of the classic tale *The Twelve Dancing Princesses *bursts with
vibrant artwork and text that's as energetic as the twelve toe-tapping
Knight Brothers themselves.”
*Library Binding: $17.20 Paperback: $3.94*

*I'm a Pretty Princess*
*“*Meet Makayla, a pretty black princess who lives in a castle far, far
away. Although she has cute dresses, a sparkling tiara, and a shiny wand,
she knows that being a princess isn't just about her fancy things, she has
to put in work to be the very best princess she can be! By the end of this
rhyming picture book, Makayla realizes that "It’s not my castle, my wand,
or the dress that I’m in. What makes me a princess is what lies within!"

*Paperback: $ 11.30*

*Looking for Bongo*

Drawing on his own childhood and the adorable youngster who served as the
model for the main character, Velasquez adds another gem to the slim pile
of books featuring Afro-Latino families.

*Library Binding $15.00*

*Hello Goodbye Window*

A little girl tells about the special kitchen window at her beloved Nanny
and Poppy's house from which a person can see anyone or anything coming and
going.

*Library Binding $20.00*

*Various stories by  author Rachel Isadora:*
various character ethnicities, book prices and covers Example:
*Rapunzel* *(Hardcover
$13.15)*

Debbie Allen
Librarian, Sudduth Elementary School