Re: Library Use Before School

Cathy Rettberg <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Feb 2017 09:44:54 -0800

<snip> Homework in the library has to be carefully monitored...

First thing I will say is I understand the problem. Homework copying
happens. I'm not sure that not allowing students to do homework in the
library is the answer though - if they want to copy homework they will find
a place to do it. What students do with their homework isn't a librarian
issue - it's an ethics issue and a classroom teacher issue.

Second thing: I hope I'm not alone in saying I didn't get my degree to be a
babysitter/enforcement official. If I were asked to monitor student
behavior in this way I would get a new job. What I would be happy to do
(and this is one of my roles at my school) is to teach ethical behavior,
create anti-plagiarism tutorials, talk to students about the problem,
engage teachers in finding ways to create assessments where plagiarism
can't be an issue. Then instead, I can spend the majority of my time
teaching infolit skills, promoting reading, and doing everything I can to
draw students into the library, which is what a school librarian should be
doing.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but as another person said, as a first year
librarian you need to decide your own goals and expectations of your role,
and then (by careful persuasion perhaps) convince those around you that you
know best how to run your library. I'll admit that's an easier task after
having been in this role for 20 years though!

Cathy

---------
What I'm reading now:
*Hillbilly Elegy/*Vance
*1984*/Orwell

Cathy Rettberg, Head Librarian
Menlo School
Atherton, CA
http://library.menloschool.org

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Brunner, Valerie <[log in to unmask]