LM_NET  April 2018

LM_NET April 2018

Removing Sharpie from barcodes

Mary Zdrojewski <[log in to unmask]>

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

I am reading *Rebound *by Kwame Alexander. What are you [log in to unmask]

Thu, 26 Apr 2018 10:41:28 -0400

Good morning all,

In the midst of a truly stressful and awful week, I have encountered a problem so comedically tragic that I am at a loss for the best way to fix it.

I have no aide for my two libraries, and I am in the process of converting to a new automation system.  As part of the change, I did some major weeding in the HS library.  Having no place to put the books, I stacked them on top of two short bookcases.

As I was marking the books after deleting them, the study hall monitor who is stationed in the library for much of the day (she is not a library aide) offered to mark the books for me.  It is very obvious that the books are stacked on top of the two shelves, so, once I was sure she understood this, I accepted her help. That was two weeks ago.

Yesterday I was preparing the shelves for inventory and, upon replacing a misfiled book in its proper place in the 800s (on the shorter bookcase shelves), I see that this helpful colleague marked EVERY SINGLE BOOK in my 800s section (and some that were misfiled from other areas, as the study hall kids tend to just shove things wherever and I can't keep up with cleaning up after them).  I'm sure it must have been confusing because brand new copies of Shakespeare plays look just like decaying science books from the 1950s.

Does anyone know of a way to remove the sharpie from the barcode stickers?  They are covered with adhesive barcode covers.  Is this feasible?  Or should I just give up and rebarcode the entire section?

Thanks for your advice!

Mary Zdrojewski, School Librarian

Scio Central School District, Scio, NY

Zdrojewski is pronounced "stroy-EV-ski"

"Books. People never really stop loving books. Fifty-first century. By now you've got holovids, direct-to-brain downloads, fiction mist. But you need the smell. The smell of books, Donna. Deep breath!" --The Doctor