Announcing

Ruth V Small <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Jun 2018 02:14:44 +0000

ANNOUNCING... Our New Addition...Targeting Autism in Libraries: Online Training for Librarians

The new Targeting Autism in Libraries, the first disability-specific training module in Project ENABLE (https://projectenable.syr.edu) has just gone live!! Project ENABLE (Expanding Non-discriminatory Access By Librarians Everywhere), funded in part by three successive grants from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), is the most widely used and comprehensive online training on disabilities, specifically created for librarians. The Targeting Autism in Libraries training module (created at Syracuse University) is the online component for the larger, IMLS-funded Targeting Autism training project (https://wordpress.com/view/targetingautismlibs.com), in partnership with the Illinois State Library (lead organization) and Dominican University.

Just go to the Project ENABLE website (we recommend Firefox or Chrome as best choices for browsers) and register (or, if you're already registered for Project ENABLE, just login). Registration is required to access the training and is totally free. To date, more than 10,000 librarians have registered for Project ENABLE training. Now, click on Training and you're there!

For those who have participated in the Project ENABLE training before, you will notice that Module 6 is a bit different than the first five modules (more in-depth information, quizzes for each topic, its own pre- and post-test). That means you can just focus Module 6 (if your interest is learning about autism and libraries) OR you can go through all (or any) of the modules (that address disabilities and libraries more broadly) and Module 6.

All of the same features exist for Module 6 as in the other modules, such as opportunities to keep your ideas in one place (My Ideas) as you go through the training and having all of your quiz and other assessment scores saved to My Scores. We have also added a resource database to the site, which just reached our first milestone of 1000 resources (more than 600 on autism alone), searchable by type of disability, audience, format and keyword.

Please help us spread the word to librarians and others interesting in learning more about how all libraries can best serve their patrons on the autism spectrum. Thank you!

Dr. Ruth V. Small, Project Director
Targeting Autism in Libraries
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University