From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2014 19:53:38 -0800
Concur.  I'm thinking that a specific "working definition of Public
Interest" might be too particular to apply generally without getting into
the weeds of caveats and exceptions, but some sort of principles/guidelines
as to how to find the PI in a particular case might be achievable.

That's what I liked about Joy's phrasing, I'll pull it verbatim here: "The
broader notion of public interest ... ensures that the mighty cannot
overpower the weak, just because they are more powerful" and so "in the
ICANN context this notion of public interest needs to be protected to
ensure the DNS is not appropriated to suit purely private ends."  This
seems to me the core of what PI is all about, especially at ICANN.

So, that might be useful, but not so much as a position statement but more
like a reminder for how to pull out the right counter-example when a
specific case arises that requires some sort of push-back.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.