From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:21:50 -0800
Sam,

I have to say, to the extent that public interest concerns in fact arise
within the jurisdiction of ICANN's remit, there does need to be
representation of the public interest in ICANN's policy deliberations.

Making the world an authoritarian dictatorship would greatly simplify
policy-making, but simplicity per se is not the highest priority of a
democratic political organization.

ICANN's jurisdiction will not cover *all* issues of public interest, and to
that extent ICANN need not be involved in the broadest range of such
issues.  But where the public interest is naturally involved in issues
addressed by ICANN, I think that public interest needs to be represented
within ICANN's names-and-numbers policy processes.

And sometimes at ICANN the public interest is served by simply getting out
of the way, and that is what public interest advocates push for: not
setting up formal, regularized, bureaucratized processes to impose
content-based censorship on TLD strings, for example.

ICANN can't be the public interest cop for every possible public issue, but
we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  There is some overlap
within ICANN's legitimate policy domain, and the public very much needs to
be represented within that domain.

There will be gray areas that we encounter along the way and we may need to
discuss carefully whether certain issues fall within or outside of ICANN's
legitimate jurisdiction -- in fact, there have been such debates within
ICANN since the beginning, as I understand it.  These are healthy
discussions when engaged in good faith.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.