From:
Moritz Bartl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Moritz Bartl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2019 16:23:32 +0100
I would not be as dismissive.

We should make sure Raoul or anyone looking into this has a rough
understanding of what they are getting into, and what challenges they
will face. I agree with Ayden that it might just not be worth to pursue
as a group activity, but after all it is Raoul's decision (and anyone
deciding they have enough time to participate in the adventure) whether
he wants to pursue this, and then once it exists convince the rest of
the constituency to accept it as another possible yet independent
channel to use for financial transfers.

This can be crafted completely outside of ICANN's scope, as a separate
entity that supports activities of the NCSG. Think of it as a "Friends
and Supporters of NCSG/ICANN", with the option to link access to funds
with membership in the NCSG (with "nothing that the ICANN or NCSG can do
against it", if you want to call it that).

Given the discussions and the current "solutions" I would expect
basically any option on the table will be considered and there is a
chance of it getting used, when the alternative is a personal bank
account. I just want to warn anyone who gets involved, signs up for
e-Residency etc, that the initial process sounds easy enough but most of
the work comes later, and some ongoing labor and discipline is necessary
to keep it going. It is not simply holding a bank account.

Thank you Raoul if you're still willing to investigate all this. I am
very interested myself especially in solutions that allow "shared
access" to the budget and accounting of NGOs. It looks like some of the
Estonian consultancy services provide such access, and I am interested
in how this looks like. I am not able to find any solution that is not
proprietary and can be run by the non-profit itself, and even the hosted
ones leave a lot to be desired. I would also be interested in hearing
and seeing details about the reporting that needs to be filed. Can these
reports actually be in English? I am not aware of any jurisdiction that
allows non-native filings of reports, and I would be weary to pick a
random consultancy to translate or file reports in a language that
nobody on the board speaks.

Moritz