From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:52:16 -0400
Hi,

I agree with this.  I think it is a useful technique. And while it could
be me misused, as most any technique can be, I do not think that is a
reason for preventing the effort to make sure it is properly documented.

Perhaps it does call, however, for an analysis of its impacts and
guidance on how to use it so as to avoid using it for censorship.

avri

On 11-Apr-17 11:43, Mueller, Milton L wrote:
> Good for you for flagging this, Niels.
>
> I've been watching Vixie and RPZ in connection with my research on Internet 'fragmentation' for  a couple of years.
> For the most part, RPZ is proposed as a method that individual name server administrators can use to block domains that _they_ consider to be harmful. As such it is an expression of the flexibility and distributed control that the internet makes possible. It is a reputation-based method similar to the spam block lists (not technically, but in terms of the principle of an individual AS filtering). And like all technologies, it could be used in ways that rights advocates would not like, e.g. by governments as part of a more comprehensive censorship strategy.
>
> So it is best for us to keep an eye on it, but keep in mind that it is not the standard or technology per se that matters, but the purposes it is used for.
>
> Dr. Milton L Mueller
> Professor, School of Public Policy
> Georgia Institute of Technology
> Internet Governance Project