From:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:22:45 +0200
Hi Milton,

On 04/13/2017 05:08 PM, Mueller, Milton L wrote:

> [...]

Rights are not protocol, and protocols are not rights. But not influence
each other. Protocols in design and implementation are socio-technical
orderings of reality that make it easier of harder for people to
exercise their rights.

>> To make the analogy to spam: when I receive spam in my spamfolder,
>> I can still read it. Spam that is blocked, I cannot read.
>
> That's an analogy. But RPZ is not a spam filter. As McTim pointed
> out, the whole purpose of RPZ is to block domains, not to set them
> aside

And I still do not understand why that is, and this seems not to have
been part of the deliberations during the design.

>> With RPZ I think there is a risk that content get's blocked
>> because people don't like it, not because it's malware. And it does
>> so without the consent of the user, or even without informing
>> them.
>
> In some cases, the user is the blocker. It might be possible for the
> RFC to specify that users who attempt to access RPZ-blocked domains
> would receive a warning or an explanation.

That is exactly what I am advocating for; transparency, accountability
and access to remedy.

Best,

Niels

--
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                     678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9