From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2017 14:13:23 +0300
Hi Joly,

Thank you for raising this.

The paragraph you noted is based on 2.2.1(4) in NCSG Charter, which
states that

"4. In the case of a membership-based organization, the organization
should not only be noncommercial itself, but should have a primarily
noncommercial focus, and the membership should also be primarily
composed of noncommercial members. (E.g., a chamber of commerce,
though it may be a noncommercial organization itself, and might even
have some noncommercial members, is primarily composed of commercial
organizations and has a commercial focus and would not be eligible for
membership.)"

As we have such a requirement in the charter, we need to have
something matching in the member removal procedures.

Now what exactly that means is the question. We discussed about it
and concluded roughly that the point is to exclude *formally*
non-commercial organizations that nonetheless have *de facto*
commercial purpose and mostly commercial members, such as a chamber of
commerce given as an example.

Where the line should be drawn is up to the Executive Committee to
decide whenever either such an organization applies for membership or
when an existing members' eligibility is challenged.

We do not intend to set up any general requirement for NCSG member
organizations to document their members' non-commercial status in
detail, although I guess it could come to that in a specific case.

As we have several ISOC chapters in our membership it is clear they
have been considered eligible despite that clause, and I see no
obvious reason to change that policy. The EC could of course
reconsider that either in general or in the case of a specific ISOC
Chapter, but for the time being I don't see any immediate need for
existing members to worry about that.

All members are of course welcome to express their views on this, as
well as the proposed procedure on dealing with ineligibility claims,
or even suggest changes to the charter to avoid potential problems
and ambiguities in its interpretation.

Tapani