From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2017 08:07:47 +0300
On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 04:13:38PM +0000, Mueller, Milton L ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Here is what I see as the real problem: Why didn’t someone – should
> be the NCSG chair but could be any Council member – say, “hey
> members, we have two people running for a board seat, one of them is
> NCUC member Matt Shears, the other is incumbent Markus Kummer, who
> has in relative terms been a friend of NCSG. The Councilors who are
> supposed to represent you will need to pick one soon. Who do you
> think they ought to support?”

I would've thought it improper for the Chair to make such a statement
about candidates' qualities, one with value judgements that can be
read as support for one of them (even though I actually agree those
descriptions are accurate).

Bringing the issue to ncsg-discuss in more neutral terms, however,
would have been good.

But appointments and nominations in general belong Policy Committee
(and the election here specifically to councillors), and I've already
been accused of trying to usurp power there, so I've tried to keep a
lower profile there, following the lead of councillors and PC Chair
rather than try to lead them myself.

I may have erred too far on the side of caution there. Perhaps I
should worry less about stepping on people's toes or who should do
what. I will take that thought under consideration, keeping in mind
it is easy to go too far in the other direction, too.

> Adding irony to this problem is that while all this information was
> _not_ being conveyed Tapani had time to send two messages scolding
> the NCUC EC about their decision to hold a quick 48 hour voting
> period for an _uncontested_ NCUC EC replacement election. Wow. What
> kind of political games are being played here?

My imagination fails me here, I can't even think of what possible games
you think I might be playing. Perhaps you could open up your thinking
here a bit.

The reason I commented on the byelection in NCUC EC list is simple:
NCSG election procedures are one, and increasingly urgent, task on my
plate (people may recall the trouble with previous NCSG elections).

So it was on the surface in my mind and this made me realize I'd
forgotten about byelections in my list of things to do there.
For anybody interested in that, please take a look at

https://lists.ncsg.is/pipermail/election-reform/2017-March/000001.html

I intend to start pushing forward with that soon, and I will alert
people here again to encourage winder participation (everybody
is welcome to join that list).

As for "scolding", I suggest people take a look at those comments
of mine in ncuc-ec list and decide for themselves if that description
is accurate or if I was out of line:

http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-April/003887.html

http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-May/003903.html

If people want to discuss the substance of those comments here, I'm
fine with that, too. Even though it is about NCUC elections, not NCSG,
but my interest is generic, thinking about how to define processes
for the future, not about this or any other specific case.

--
Tapani Tarvainen