From:
"Klein, Hans K" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Hans K
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2017 14:03:07 +0000
Fascinating interview.

I have met almost no on the USA who questions the media narrative put forward here by Meghan Kelly.  What the NY Times says is taken as absolute truth.  This applies to top professors, analysts, you name it.

I would compare the today's fervent mass beliefs about Russia to those held during the run-up to the US invasion of Iraq, when there was a similar intense belief about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.  The media speak with a unity and urgency that is remarkable, and he American public believes with an intensity that is disconcerting.

This is all regardless of whether you like Trump or not.  Not liking President Trump does not make the US media narrative any truer.

As for Trump, I think his policy goals are not well understood.  He needs to be understood in terms of structural policy (rather than substantive policy.)  Trump is weakening (and beginning to dismantle?) the US role in global governance.  The US is stepping back from global climate change, collective defense, global trade, etc.

Most observers see this as an assault on substantive policies of climate, defense, trade, etc.  But perhaps it is better understood as a retreat from unipolarity.  The US is no longer asserting its leadership in global affairs.

Is that a bad thing?  It seems to be an acceptance of multipolarity.  It de facto accepts the status of other countries as co-leaders in global governance.  Some might think that multipolarity is a good thing.

The opportunity presented by Trump seems greatest for Europe (and Germany.)  Trump is telling Europe to be less of a subordinate (a free rider on US defense spending) and be more of a partner -- even an independent partner.  There is an opportunity for Europe to claim that "America made us do it,"  and develop a more independent policy.

Trump and his policies of structural change may or may not last.  If they last, then we will see a multipolar world.  If they don't last, then his successor will presumably try to reassert unipolarity.

So currently there is an opening to create a more unipolar world.  That might not be a bad thing.

In the US, however, I have met no policy intellectuals that don't believe Trump to be subordinate to Mr. Putin's mind control.   I kid you not.

Hans