From:
Pranesh Prakash <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pranesh Prakash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2017 11:49:39 +0530
Dear Ayden,
I don't know about "primary" uses, but I know that NGOs use WHOIS
information all the time.

1. NGOs use WHOIS information to unearth connections between corporate
entities (especially those involved in lobbying the government) which
ought to be transparent, but are not.  Corporate entities ought not
enjoy the same kinds of privacy rights as individuals, even when
individuals within a corporate entity do not forsake their rights to
privacy by virtue of entering into an association.

2. NGOs use WHOIS information to determine the antecedents of domains,
just as everybody else does, for purposes of research.  Last year, my
use of WHOIS to detect a fraudulent Android app (that used the same
image and text as the Indian prime minister's official app), led to that
app being ejected from the Google Play Store.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Pranesh

gangadhar <[log in to unmask]> [Tue Jul 04
2017 19:20:35 GMT+0530 (IST)]:

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society