From:
Wendy Seltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Seltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2017 10:21:53 -0400
Hi All,

I'll add to Ayden's call for input: we're working to *describe* the
potential purposes of WHOIS data on an element-by-element basis, based
on user stories. Our group's goal is to assemble a listing of this
information to provide to European data protection authorities for
evaluation of those purposes under GDPR.

In other words, we're aggregating information at this stage, not
assessing legitimacy of the purposes nor the balancing conditions that
might override some of them. As NCSG, we'll be able to share further
information and concerns raised by the asserted purposes later.

Some potential users and uses include, with no value judgment implied:
academic study (any data field); cold-calling of contacts (phone, email,
address); investigation/due diligence.

Can people who are proposing users/uses please indicate to which fields
those purposes apply? (We'll have a wiki page listing the fields
shortly, but you can look at those shown on a "thick" whois example.org
query:

Domain Name: EXAMPLE.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D2328855-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server:
Registrar URL:
Updated Date: 2015-08-19T20:25:53Z
Creation Date: 1995-08-31T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2010-08-30T04:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrar: ICANN
Registrar IANA ID: 376
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
Reseller:
Domain Status: serverDeleteProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: serverRenewProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverRenewProhibited
Domain Status: serverTransferProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited
Domain Status: serverUpdateProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverUpdateProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: C7727697-LROR
Registrant Name: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
Registrant Organization: ICANN
Registrant Street: 12025 Waterfront Drive
Registrant City: Los Angeles
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 90094
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.3103015800
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.3108238649
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [log in to unmask]
Registry Admin ID: C7727697-LROR
Admin Name: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
Admin Organization: ICANN
Admin Street: 12025 Waterfront Drive
Admin City: Los Angeles
Admin State/Province: CA
Admin Postal Code: 90094
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.3103015800
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +1.3108238649
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [log in to unmask]
Registry Tech ID: C7727697-LROR
Tech Name: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
Tech Organization: ICANN
Tech Street: 12025 Waterfront Drive
Tech City: Los Angeles
Tech State/Province: CA
Tech Postal Code: 90094
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.3103015800
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.3108238649
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [log in to unmask]
Name Server: A.IANA-SERVERS.NET
Name Server: B.IANA-SERVERS.NET
DNSSEC: signedDelegation
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form:
https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2017-07-06T14:20:31Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit
https://icann.org/epp

Thanks,
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- [log in to unmask] +1 617.863.0613
Strategy Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)