From:
Arsène Tungali <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arsène Tungali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2019 17:21:32 +0200
Thanks, Remmy for starting this discussion and everyone who has contributed.

I personally see it and would like everyone to see this discussion as
not being YOU vs the NCSG. I would like to suggest members of the NCSG
to take this opportunity to either clarify/complement/discuss some of
those areas you brought up and/or add to the list of issues to be
considered, if more, so we can come up with a list of things. Then
this can lead to an agreement of whether they are enough to trigger a
charter review or the review or the OP or any other guiding document.

And to achieve this, I would like to call on the leadership of the
NCSG (the Chair here) to guide/encourage this conversation so it can
lead to some concrete outcomes (a list of issues). Leaders of NCUC and
NPOC may play a role here if there is anything raised that falls
within their remit and be able to play the same role of guiding the
conversation. The outcome here could be a list of issues to be
considered for a specific and focused discussion.

I agree that reviewing the Charter is a huge job but if the NPOC was
able to do it, the NCSG too can do it, the community just need to come
up with a considerable number of issues to trigger this review. And
this thread should serve to help bring them up front.

I do not think this thread should be stopped or the conversation
should be paused because we are in the middle of elections or because
so many things are happening. At ICANN, there will always be things
going on. There needs to be a starting point for such a conversation.

I would strongly suggest the leadership (and anyone else willing to,
such as veterans) to play the role of encouraging members to
critically think and suggest areas of improvement in our guiding
documents that need a deep discussion, to be brought to the table, in
this thread.

Maybe we should decide, as Farzi said that the issue of double vote is
not a charter issue but an OP issue, let's then tackle that specific
section in the OP so next year, we don't face the same issue? If the
issue of holding different leadership positions within the SG or the C
is not an NCSG problem or an issue at all as Amr said, we need to
agree on this and make it clear somewhere in the OPs maybe? Because I
do recall this was a burning discussion when David Cake was in that
situation. And since then, this has never been discussed anymore.

In closing, I don't want Remmy to feel like he is in a battle with
everyone. He should be thanked for having started the conversation and
I would encourage all members to jump in, not to ask Remmy to do the
work himself but he should be supported. If members think there is no
issues, then the discussion will stop by itself. A member can see an
issue but not be in a position to clearly frame it or come up with an
eleborated text because not everyone is good at this, he needs to be
supported.

Best regards,
Arsene

--