From:
John Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 08:36:18 +0000
I will avoid the question of culture but there are undeniably major differences in attitudes towards privacy within the EU as compared with the US, at least if the history of the respective legal frameworks  concerning privacy are anything to go by. And I am emphatically not saying the European data protection authorities have handled everything perfectly but ICANN has form when it comes to WHOIS. Look at the levels of inaccuracy which it has tolerated for so long. Look also at how, in adopting its new bylaws, the status  of WHOIS was immediately demoted once ICANN had escaped the clutches of the US Government and was able to retire the promises made in the Affirmation of Commitments.

ICANN was also very slow in getting its act together in responding to the GDPR.  All of these things colour many people's attitudes towards ICANN and  the current mess. There is not a  high level of trust or confidence.

The way I see it WHOIS is a lot of bother and a cost which Registries and Registrars would be happy to ditch altogether. As long as they get paid why should Registries and Registrars care how their domains are actually being used and by whom? That's a problem for "someone else", not them.  Even more to the point why should they care about maintaining an accurate accessible database that will, by definition, only be used by third parties, contributing little or nothing to the Registries' and Registrars' bottom line? Addressing the stability and security of the internet  is easy to duck or postpone if your cash flow is under pressure today and you're working on low margins.

And remember, accuracy is a key and unavoidable requirement under the GDPR. So that portends even greater cost and hassle for Registries and Registrars.

John