From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2018 09:41:23 -0500
Hi all,

David's description below is correct, but there's another relevant
issue, namely gender balance: there must be at least two councillors
of each gender, and that is stronger than the regional balance
requirement.

In current situation that means at least one woman must be elected,
even if there're men with more votes, and in the (presumably very
unlikely) situation there're only European women running one of them
would get elected regardless of regional balance.

The regional balance requirement may also be broken in the even more
unlikely but theoretically possible case where there aren't enough
candidates at all from underrepresented regions.

Region and gender matter in case of tie, too (less well represented
gender or regions wins).

For full details see

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Operating+Procedures

That said, I trust there will be diverse enough set of competent
candidates to choose from that NCSG can maintain its traditionally
strong diversity of councillors without difficulties.

Tapani

--
Tapani Tarvainen