From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:24:34 -0400
Thanks to Johan for forwarding the update with regard to new gTLD
Auction Proceeds

I suggest that NCSG people give a lot of feedback here. Having dealt
with foundations in the past I am aware of the expertise necessary to
manage an endowment.

Very early on I suggested that ICANN use a two part strategy where (a)
it sets the priorities for how funding should be handled, and (b) hands
off the task to a reputable foundation that has the wisdom and
administrative skills to manage the endowment as per the ICANN terms of
reference. I also suggested that "diminishing marginal returns" have
probably set in with regard to new gTLD's and while the promoters will
push hard (they get paid up front) the results are not likely to produce
large additional auction revenues.

The current proposal essentially dismisses the mechanism (D) which is
what I proposed. Mechanisms A & B are for a fully "in house" ICANN
mechanism. I fear that: (1)  ICANN has no expertise in this area; (2)
building it with quality would be much more expensive than partnering in
with expertise; and (3) the more "in house" the process is the more
scope there is for ongoing struggles over how funds are distributed.

In my view, that leaves Mechanism C, a collaboration with an established
endowment manager, the preferred option within the remaining three. Hope
there is some NCSG discussion here so that the best mechanism is selected.

The decision as to funding priorities will be a subsequent separate (and
probably heated) discussion.

Sam L.