From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2019 15:03:50 -0400
As an economist I would like to remind us that any assessment of
ICANN’s carbon footprint also requires careful thought as to what to
count and what not to count.

For example, with regard to ICANN literal and electronic meetings, it
would have to count the carbon footprint of all participants, not
just the carbon footprint based on ICANN’s expenditures. That means
counting the carbon footprint of stakeholder engagement from every
ICANN stakeholder constituency, regardless of how that engagement was
funded and how it took place.

Decisions would have to be made with regard to the infrastructure that
supports the DNS system, including its operation and the support for
its stability and security. IS that counted or not? Should the carbon
footprints of registrars and registries be calculated as well?

The “why count” is pretty clear. The “how to count” is more complex.
The what to count is probably something that would need to be worked
at through a PDP-like process.

Sam L. NPOC